PDA

View Full Version : Have you hugged an engineer this week?

rocketguy101
02-17-2008, 08:23 PM
This is Engineers Week (http://www.eweek.org/)

The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, is sponsoring some events for youth -- check here (http://www.asme.org/Events/Engineers_Week_2007_2.cfm) Other societies are probably doing similar events.

Bazookadale
02-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Came close to punching one out - but that's every week at work - there can be no progress without arguments!

barone
02-18-2008, 07:33 AM
Came close to punching one out - but that's every week at work - there can be no progress without arguments!
ROTFLMAO!

Know that feeling. I love it when I come in with a problem and they say fix it however you think is best. Then they get upset if I take care of an issue without running it by them first. Come on guys, give me break. You either want me to leave you alone and handle things or you want to know about everything that doesn't seem right. Last issue (I know, this is getting mondane, plans called for berms instead of privacy fence. Drawing only showed two berms (replacing two blocks of privacy fence?). I brought it to the attention of the engineer who signed off on the drawings. His solution...."We need berms Don. Work with the contractor to get them." Now, why he didn't send it back to the design engineer is beyond me. As a result, I designed and had the contractor install the berms on the fly(and I must say, I think they turned out better than what an engineer may have designed :D ). Now, If I could only design rockets..... :rolleyes:

Doug Sams
02-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Last issue (I know, this is getting mondane), plans called for berms instead of privacy fence. Drawing only showed two berms (replacing two blocks of privacy fence?). I brought it to the attention of the engineer who signed off on the drawings. <snip>You're talking about civil engineers. Us electrical engineers rank them somewhere between ditch diggers and day laborers :)

To wit:

A bunch of engineers are sitting around at a party, discussing the nature of God.

The mechanical engineer states that God must also be a mechanical engineer because "if you look at all the pulleys and levers that drive the body, how the tendons and muscles and bones all work together, well, it's just amazing."

The chemical engineer says that no, God has to be a chemical engineer because "if you look at all the chemical processes that drive the body, how the hormones and the brain and the glands and everything else all interact, well, it's just astounding."

The electrical engineer says that no, God has to be an electrical engineer because "if you look at the circuitry of the body, how the thousands upon millions of nerve cells transmit signals from one part to another, well, it boggles the mind."

The civil engineer speaks up last of all and says, no, God is definitely a civil engineer, because "only a civil engineer would put a sewer line in the middle of a playground."

<vbg>
Doug

Nuke Rocketeer
02-18-2008, 09:44 AM
I only hug the female engineers I work with. :D

barone
02-18-2008, 10:31 AM
You're talking about civil engineers. Us electrical engineers rank them somewhere between ditch diggers and day laborers :)

To wit:

<vbg>
Doug

ROTFLMAO! ;)

ghrocketman
02-18-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm an electrical engineer too and I feel pretty much the same way as stated above about civil engineers....one step above RAILROAD and SANITATION "engineers".

Bazookadale
02-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Know that feeling. I love it when I come in with a problem and they say fix it however you think is best. Then they get upset if I take care of an issue without running it by them first.

I designed and had the contractor install the berms on the fly(and I must say, I think they turned out better than what an engineer may have designed :D ).

Actually at my current company we work together as a team pretty well. At a previous job everybody was constantly at each others throat - why? -job security! Never let it look like someone else did your job better than you, you'll be "right sized". Management made it worse by compartmentalizing jobs - they though it more effective if you concentrated only on one area. This resulted in a lot of "screw you" engineering - don't care if it costs you money on your end, it saves me money on mine! (that company is in chapter 11 right now)

Bazookadale
02-18-2008, 11:15 AM
I only hug the female engineers I work with. :D

WATCH IT! Even joking about that could get a harassment charge filed ( unless she has eyes for you too)

rocketguy101
02-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Actually at my current company we work together as a team pretty well. At a previous job everybody was constantly at each others throat - why? -job security! Never let it look like someone else did your job better than you, you'll be "right sized". Management made it worse by compartmentalizing jobs - they though it more effective if you concentrated only on one area. This resulted in a lot of "screw you" engineering - don't care if it costs you money on your end, it saves me money on mine! (that company is in chapter 11 right now)
Sometimes teamwork around here resembles this:

Along the civil engr discussion, know what the difference between a mechanical engineer and a civil engineer is?

Mechanical engineers make weapons. Civil engineers make targets.

Shreadvector
02-18-2008, 12:44 PM
WATCH IT! Even joking about that could get a harassment charge filed ( unless she has eyes for you too)

http://www.transbuddha.com/mediaHolder.php?id=1394

EchoVictor
02-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Remember.....

"Mechanical Engineers make weapons. Civil Engineers make targets."

Later,
EV
- BSME

ghrocketman
02-19-2008, 03:15 PM
And Electrical Engineers make the guidance systems that allow the Mechanical Engineers devices to find and land on their targets.... :D

barone
02-19-2008, 03:40 PM
And Electrical Engineers make the guidance systems that allow the Mechanical Engineers devices to find and land on their targets.... :D
Just remember, if it weren't for the targets, the mechanical and electrical engineers wouldn't have a job ;)