PDA

View Full Version : Display Case Cost

Rocket Doctor
11-15-2007, 12:06 PM
I received an email from the Smithsoanian, regarding, a display case that would be used to display model rockets.

I was told, that a medium display case cost them $24,000 back in 2003, and their exhibitions department, said, that that figure would be much higher today.

So, if we wanted a display of model rockets at the Smithsonian, money would need to be raised to cover the cost, because, a display case is not in their budget.

Any thoughts?

Initiator001
11-15-2007, 01:29 PM
I think more research should be done to get the exact cost of doing a display.

Then, decide what will be put in the case and how it will be arranged. Create some conceptual artwork.

After all this, make a presentation to the NAR Board for funding. Maybe part NAR, part manufacturers, part donations. :confused:

It's a good start.

Bob

Rocket Doctor
11-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Bob
This is the only information that I had received so far, I , also asked for a list of the models that they have in storage, no reply yet.
Ken

mikeyd
11-15-2007, 07:52 PM
I would hope that as a group we could raise $76,000 or so for a comercial for the hobby, that we should be able to do something similar for a permanent display.

Just my 2cents.
Mike

Rocketking
11-16-2007, 05:02 AM
Well, with the "Old Rocketeers Reunion" coming up at NARAM 50, we May be able to raise some money for this project... Just a thought!

Rocket Doctor
11-16-2007, 06:06 AM
I made a request to the Smithsonian for more details on a display case, haven't gotten a reply back yet, but, when I do, I will post that information.

pyrovette20
11-16-2007, 07:58 AM
Is the case made out of titanium and bullet proof glass then hermetically sealed. I can go get one for $100.

Rocket Doctor
11-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Remember the $900.00 toilet seats? This was a price that was sent to me from the curator of displays at the Smithsonian, I sent another email requestion information as to size, materials , what would be placed inside etc. No reply back yet.

I also asked for a list of all hobby model rockets that they have in storage, they should have that information also. No reply on that either.

When I get the details, I will post it here.

I can only report what I am told, but, when your dealing with the Government, you know how that works.

pantherjon
11-16-2007, 02:18 PM
And here I always thought The Smithsonian was a private organization-not part of the gubment? :confused:

Rocket Doctor
12-07-2007, 11:41 PM
The Smithsonian finally got back to me with the cost of a display case..........$25,000.00.
I am also waiting to get a list of the rocket kits that they have in storage.

Any carpenter's out there? The price sounds kind of steep, no details on the size or materials either.

Initiator001
12-08-2007, 12:17 AM
The Smithsonian finally got back to me with the cost of a display case..........$25,000.00.
I am also waiting to get a list of the rocket kits that they have in storage.

Any carpenter's out there? The price sounds kind of steep, no details on the size or materials either.

Thanks for the follow-up, Ken.

I see the next step as coming up with what items are to be displayed and how.

Then, a presentation to the NAR and others who may be willing to contribute $$$$ for the construction and upkeep of a display.

Perhaps a presentation to the NAR Board at NARAM-50?

Bob

Rocket Doctor
12-08-2007, 04:52 AM
Bob

I am going to inquire again with the Smithsonian about the details of the display case, size, materials. What would go into it. Where the case would be on display.
I am also going to get this in writing, so, it can be presented to the NAR for consideration.
And, I will remind them about the list of kits that they have in storage.
Ken

Rocket Doctor
02-14-2008, 12:48 PM
I just got a reply back from the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum regarding the medium display case.

There was to be a determination by the end of last month, as you can see, it didn't happen. Now, the new deadline will be by the end of February, if, the donor will come through or not.

If the donor does not, i will be bringing this up at NARAM 50.

Wanted to give everyone an update.