PDA

View Full Version : Estes Model Rokcet News Article question

shockwaveriderz
11-12-2007, 06:15 PM
In the Estes MRN june/july 1963 issue is an article titled, " A Rocketeer's Guide to Avoid Suicide How Model Rocketry prevents accidents"

I notice that it is not attributed to anybody. Anybody know who actually wrote this article? Vern Estes ? Bill Simon? G. Harry Stine?

Also in the best of Volume 1 and 2, there is a Model Rocketry vs Amateur Rocketry Safety Survey Report. Its says that it from MRN Vol. 1 #3 . Since this is from 1961 and I happen to know that Bill SImon didn't start work at Estes till 1962, Can I assume this was written by Vern?

tia

Terry Dean

al_packer
11-17-2007, 08:30 PM
That's 44+ years ago ---------------------

1) If the article ran in the MRN, the chance that Harry wrote it is slim to none.
2) It's too long for Vern to have written it.
3) So, I guess I have to take the blame.

Actually, a lot of what we published started with a few notes by Vern and was then fleshed out by myself.

Bill

al_packer
11-17-2007, 08:32 PM
That's the "Rocketeer's Guide" I'm talking about.

You'd have to ask Vern himself about the article from '61

Bill

shockwaveriderz
11-18-2007, 01:22 PM
That's 44+ years ago ---------------------

1) If the article ran in the MRN, the chance that Harry wrote it is slim to none.
2) It's too long for Vern to have written it.
3) So, I guess I have to take the blame.

Actually, a lot of what we published started with a few notes by Vern and was then fleshed out by myself.

Bill

Hi Bill:

First a hearty welcome to YORF. I'm very glad that you found us.

You may remember me from a few years back we had an email conversation about the design and development history background of the Scissor-Wing Transport and your early experiments with swing wing BG'S. (Remember folks we are talking 1962 here!). I'm still waiting for some crude drawings of your designs.

And when I asked who wrote this I was NOT attempting to lay any blame at anybodies feet. I just noticed that it had no attribution to anyone. I was curious as to where the term" Basement Bomber" came from. I have done some pretty extensive searches in newspapers and magazines from 1957-1960 and the word just doesn't seem to show up anywhere.

I thought that I may have found reference of it in some older NFPA publications in regards to perhaps fireworks; Do you think this may have been where G. Harry picked it up? Can you shed any light on where you became aware of this term? I know we are talking +50 years ago...

looking forward from hearing from you again!

regards,

Terry Dean

Rocketflyer
11-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi Bill:

First a hearty welcome to YORF. I'm very glad that you found us.

You may remember me from a few years back we had an email conversation about the design and development history background of the Scissor-Wing Transport and your early experiments with swing wing BG'S. (Remember folks we are talking 1962 here!). I'm still waiting for some crude drawings of your designs.

And when I asked who wrote this I was attempting to lay any blame at anybodies feet. I just noticed that it had no attribution to anyone. I was curious as to where the term" Basement Bomber" came from. I have done some pretty extensive searches in newspapers and magazines from 1957-1960 and the word just doesn't seem to show up anywhere.

I thought that I may have found reference of it in some older NFPA publications in regards to perhaps fireworks; Do you think this may have been where G. Harry picked it up? Can you shed any light on where you became aware of this term? I know we are talking +50 years ago...

looking forward from hearing from you again!

regards,

Terry Dean

Lordy how I hated that term , "basement bomber,"when I read that article. Then again I was trying out various Zn& S combos in my parents basement for those cigar tube/CO2 rockets shown in Bertrand Brinley's book. Looking back, not so sure those were the "good ol' days."

al_packer
11-19-2007, 12:27 PM
I have this vague recollection that there was an individual in the news back in the mid 50's who was labeled "The Basement Bomber" by the press -- sort of like the Boston Strangler. Of course, that memory might be entirely spurious. Pinning down the origin of the phrase would probably make a good doctorial dissertation for some English major.

I suspect we all have a little bit of "Basement Bomber" inside of us.

Shreadvector
11-19-2007, 01:41 PM
I have this vague recollection that there was an individual in the news back in the mid 50's who was labeled "The Basement Bomber" by the press -- sort of like the Boston Strangler. Of course, that memory might be entirely spurious. Pinning down the origin of the phrase would probably make a good doctorial dissertation for some English major.

I suspect we all have a little bit of "Basement Bomber" inside of us.

No.

There was "The Mad Bomber".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mad_Bomber

A term like "Basement Bomber" would not make sense for a criminal. What would they be accused of doing, Bombing basements?

ghrocketman
11-19-2007, 02:34 PM
"I suspect we all have a little bit of "Basement Bomber" inside of us."

Ya think ?? :p :p

tbzep
11-19-2007, 03:00 PM
"I suspect we all have a little bit of "Basement Bomber" inside of us."

Ya think ?? :p :p

My nickname ain't "lefty" for nuthin! :D

Just kidding....I'm really left handed....cause I blew my right hand off.

Gotcha again. I cut it off in an industrial accident. :eek:

Nope. Still got them both. :p

shockwaveriderz
11-19-2007, 05:24 PM
The earilest that I can trace "Basement Bomber" back to is a NAR publication circa 1959-1960 titled "Model Rocketry in the Space Age".

This document has the following address, 6180 FairField Dr Littleton CO on it.

This of course, was G. Harry Stine's home address ( and NAR address and HQ) from approx 8/57 to 7/60 when G. Harry & Family moved to New Canaan, Conn.

Terry Dean