PDA

View Full Version : Interceptor E

Mach1
09-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Has this kit made an appearance anywhere yet? :confused: I'm anxiously awaiting this kit!!

pantherjon
09-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Last I have seen at 2 websites(Tower Hobbies and Hobbylinc) is expected(thats the key word) is mid-NOVEMBER..Those 2 are also listing the regular B/C Interceptor at the same time, even tho other distributors have had them for almost 2 months now? So, don't hold your breath...Sometime in November...maybe

Rocket Doctor
09-24-2007, 05:29 AM
From what I understand, the Interceptor D/E will not be available for awhile.

The Der Red Max and the 1250 Interceptor is not available except for current stock. These are very popular and are flying (no pun intended) off the shelves.

I would suggest, if you can get your hands on them, maybe buy a second one, because who knows when a new shipment will arrive from China.

kurtschachner
09-24-2007, 12:53 PM
From what I understand, the Interceptor D/E will not be available for awhile.

*sniff...sniff* ... what is that smell?

Oh yeah, the Estes Star Booster. ;)

CPMcGraw
09-24-2007, 01:15 PM
*sniff...sniff* ... what is that smell?

Oh yeah, the Estes Star Booster. ;)

Followed closely by the Cylon Raider...:rolleyes:

tbzep
09-24-2007, 02:09 PM
And the Quest 18mm "D" motor. :(

Rocket Doctor
09-24-2007, 02:59 PM
I do have a prototpe sitting right here, hasn't been finished off yet. Was supposed to have gotten decals long ago, still waiting.

If's thats the case only a handful exist ????????

P.S.
Christmas is coming too.....

kurtschachner
09-24-2007, 03:27 PM
I do have a prototpe sitting right here, hasn't been finished off yet. Was supposed to have gotten decals long ago, still waiting.

I redrew the Interceptor decals a long time ago, if I knew the exact upscale for the "D/E" I could print you out a set of decals on my Alps printer that would fit your model. Do you know what the scale is?

Mach1
09-24-2007, 04:28 PM
:( From what I understand, the Interceptor D/E will not be available for awhile.

The Der Red Max and the 1250 Interceptor is not available except for current stock. These are very popular and are flying (no pun intended) off the shelves.

I would suggest, if you can get your hands on them, maybe buy a second one, because who knows when a new shipment will arrive from China.

Thanks for that. I'm glad I stocked up on DRM and Interceptor kits when I had the chance. I finished my Interceptor kit the other day, and my wife actually likes it! I told her of the upcoming upscale, and she said "cool!"

Nothing like having wife-approved funding to buy rocket stuff! :D I really hope that this kit isn't vaporware like the 1/70th Sat1B turned out to be!

I had two cool things to look forward to for September; (other than my wife and daughter's birthdays) an upscale Interceptor from Estes, and more HD channels from Directv. It doesn't look like I'm going to get either! :( :(

Rocket Doctor
09-24-2007, 04:46 PM
The scale is about 1 1/2 to 2 times the size of the 1250.

It's large and impressive, even unpainted.

If I can figure out how to post photos, I would.

Like all of the kits, way off schedule.

Mikus
09-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Last I have seen at 2 websites(Tower Hobbies and Hobbylinc) is expected(thats the key word) is mid-NOVEMBER..Those 2 are also listing the regular B/C Interceptor at the same time, even tho other distributors have had them for almost 2 months now? So, don't hold your breath...Sometime in November...maybe

I checked with one of the few R/C stores here in Houston that carries rocketry items as well and was also told mid-November.

kurtschachner
09-26-2007, 09:10 AM
The scale is about 1 1/2 to 2 times the size of the 1250.

Well, that's a pretty big range. Can you accurately measure the body tube diameter and length? That would give a better clue as to the upscale.

In any case, here are some parts of the decals that I scaled up to 175% (midpoint of your estimate). Print them out on paper and see how they fit.

Rocket Doctor
09-26-2007, 12:03 PM
There are two main body tubes and a coupler

BODY TUBE HBT-2000 SLOTTED 13.5 inches p/n 30617
BODY TUBE HBT-2000 13.5 INCHES P/N 30615 27 inch total
BODY TUBE COUPLER HJT - 1935 p/n 0.030618 (4")

DIAMETER APPROXIMATELY 2 INCHES (larger than a BT-60 and smaller than a bT-80

Rocket Doctor
09-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks to Leo

There are photos under the Project link

tbzep
09-26-2007, 02:09 PM
There are two main body tubes and a coupler

BODY TUBE HBT-2000 SLOTTED 13.5 inches p/n 30617
BODY TUBE HBT-2000 13.5 INCHES P/N 30615 27 inch total
BODY TUBE COUPLER HJT - 1935 p/n 0.030618 (4")

DIAMETER APPROXIMATELY 2 INCHES (larger than a BT-60 and smaller than a bT-80

I wonder if that's standard BT-70 (2.217" OD) or if they had a custom run of tubes. I don't see a reason for it to use heavy (thick walled) stuff, but "HBT" would intuitively seem to code for heavy tubing. :confused:

Royatl
09-26-2007, 02:19 PM
I think that's the same tube (though maybe heavier walled) as used in the SpaceShipOne kit.

Rocket Doctor
09-26-2007, 02:50 PM
I wonder if that's standard BT-70 (2.217" OD) or if they had a custom run of tubes. I don't see a reason for it to use heavy (thick walled) stuff, but "HBT" would intuitively seem to code for heavy tubing. :confused:

This is heavy stuff, more so than the tubing in theSS1.
Look at the photos under the "projects" thread.

I built this while outlining the instructions. The former marketing manager took my outlinre and made a novel out of it.

There are even supports on the wings because of the size and weight of the 1350.

I think that this was a special run of tubes, since the bottom tube is slotted in different places.

So, check out the photos.

DeanHFox
09-26-2007, 08:43 PM
OK, so I've got what's probably the mother of all dumb questions.

I *love* the lines of the Interceptor, and I have to say (just my opinion) that the "reinforcements" on the fins of the "E" upscale version just make the fin lines ... awkward.

SO --- could basswood or light ply be substituted for the kit's balsa to preserve the original classic's "fin lines"? If so, what thickness would folks recommend?

Or is it foolhardy to attempt this change? I obviously don't want to build an unstable bird...but it would be nice to have this info present in the forum so modelers wishing to build a more "true to the original"-looking version can do so...

tbzep
09-26-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm sure the fins could be laminated with paper and strengthened considerably without adding much weight. If the "E" kit comes with the hard balsa that everybody's been raving about in the regular kit, the stuff will be about as strong as basswood anyway. I've never been a fan of basswood or light ply....you don't get much more strength for the weight penalty. If the paper laminate isn't strong enough, I'd think about using some 1/64" plywood laminate and sandwich the kit's fins with it. That would make it super strong. 1/64 ply (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAS67&P=7)

While looking at DR's pics, my first thought was to upscale the thickness of the fins to match everything else. The "E" is about a 1.5X upscale, so the 1/8" fins would upscale to about 3/16". I think it would look really nice with properly airfoiled fins, but those folks that leave fins squared off had better stick with the 1/8" stuff.

Doug Sams
09-26-2007, 09:16 PM

I *love* the lines of the Interceptor, and I have to say (just my opinion) that the "reinforcements" on the fins of the "E" upscale version just make the fin lines ... awkward.

SO --- could basswood or light ply be substituted for the kit's balsa to preserve the original classic's "fin lines"? If so, what thickness would folks recommend?
http://www.leo.nutz.de/images/forums/RD_Interceptor_1.jpg

Hmm...the grain of the reinforcements appears to be running parallel to the chord. So it adds little or no shear strength. Thus, my take is they are there to keep the fins from twisting.

I'd say that laminating would be the best alternative to the strap reinforcements. I don't care for basswood. (And lite ply is awful.) Instead, I like balsa ply, which is no longer available, but you can roll your own. 1/16" balsa sandwiched between two sheets of 1/32" at 90°. Or, just add some 1/32" balsa over the stock fins on one or both sides (again running the grains at 90°). This will definitely add noticeable thickness. You might also try laminating with card stock.

I'd say any of these will make the fins stiffer without being nearly so obvious as the straps in the pic.

Doug

Royatl
09-26-2007, 09:26 PM

I *love* the lines of the Interceptor, and I have to say (just my opinion) that the "reinforcements" on the fins of the "E" upscale version just make the fin lines ... awkward....

Elsewhere on YORF are pictures of RoguePink's Interceptor E. He put some nice contours on those pieces that made them, shall we say, less ugly. That is probably how I'd go. Although I have some other ideas that I'll delve into whenever I get the kit and see exactly why Estes thought they were needed. Twisting sounds like as good a reason as any.

Rocket Doctor
09-26-2007, 09:40 PM
If you noticed, the fins are made from two halves, putting everything together is like a jigsaw puzzle.

Originally, the first one was built without wing supports, but, after numerous launches, fins were breaking.

This is a heavy rocket. When I was drafting the instructiuons up, I had "extra" balsa strips left over, they turned out to be the reinforcement strips.

As far as I know, "E" hasn't changed the fin design/materials. The instructions haven't been complete yet, and like I mentioned, the former (no longer there) marketing manager took my outlinr and made a novel out of it.

I have done many instructions on a variety of kits, and, the reviews that I have read as far as the instructions go were all positive.

But, on this one, it was a learning process, since so many things were different in one way or another because of the size and engine types that it uses.The bottom line will be what the final kit will be like, this is what it was like when I did it.

FYI This was the last kit that I had anything to do with ,when the Forum shut down and my services "were no longer needed".

Rocket Doctor
09-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Elsewhere on YORF are pictures of RoguePink's Interceptor E. He put some nice contours on those pieces that made them, shall we say, less ugly. That is probably how I'd go. Although I have some other ideas that I'll delve into whenever I get the kit and see exactly why Estes thought they were needed. Twisting sounds like as good a reason as any.

This was the next Interceptor build other than those from R&D. I didn't have the chance th sand, taper, round or airfoil anything on this one.

Just the basics here.

This is how I started out on the instructions, look at the parts list, follow the prints and build the rocket, and, if I find any problems during this process, alert R&D to have changes made.R&D launched their prototype many times and found out the problem with the fins.

Look closely, the balsa pieces along the sides and connecting to the fins are all from pieces glued together forming one piece. This is to get the most out of a sheet of balsa.

I was just as surprised about the "strips" on the fins, but, I guess after sanding, priming and painting, it will look just fine.

Like I mentioned previously, this is a LARGE kit with some weight to it. Compare the photos of the 1250 to the 1350, quite a difference

Hopefully, the kit will be out before the end of the year and "improvements" can be made and discussed here.

I also brought up the issue of the shock cord (too short) and that was supposed to have been changed (?????)

barone
09-27-2007, 07:29 AM
If you noticed, the fins are made from two halves, putting everything together is like a jigsaw puzzle.

Originally, the first one was built without wing supports, but, after numerous launches, fins were breaking.

This is a heavy rocket. When I was drafting the instructiuons up, I had "extra" balsa strips left over, they turned out to be the reinforcement strips.

As far as I know, "E" hasn't changed the fin design/materials. The instructions haven't been complete yet, and like I mentioned, the former (no longer there) marketing manager took my outlinr and made a novel out of it.

I have done many instructions on a variety of kits, and, the reviews that I have read as far as the instructions go were all positive.

But, on this one, it was a learning process, since so many things were different in one way or another because of the size and engine types that it uses.The bottom line will be what the final kit will be like, this is what it was like when I did it.

FYI This was the last kit that I had anything to do with ,when the Forum shut down and my services "were no longer needed".
RD,

Do you know if the fins were breaking upon landing (which I would assume because of the weight issue)? If that's the case and not from aerodynamic forces, then a parachute sling could be used (similar to what Centuri did with the Raven) to lessen the impact on the fins......I need to think on this...but I like this thought better than beefing up the fins if it's a landing issue.

Solomoriah
09-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Papering the fins with 110# paper might be a good solution for strength.

Rocket Doctor
09-27-2007, 08:51 AM
RD,

Do you know if the fins were breaking upon landing (which I would assume because of the weight issue)? If that's the case and not from aerodynamic forces, then a parachute sling could be used (similar to what Centuri did with the Raven) to lessen the impact on the fins......I need to think on this...but I like this thought better than beefing up the fins if it's a landing issue.
From what I was told, it was a landing issue. As Rougepink mentioned, it was a "shear point" issue. As I have mentioned previously, the side strips and the fins are made up from "sections" there are not one piece. It's like the old addage, a chain is as strong as it's weakest link, so, I would say that the joints would be the weakest link.

As far as a sling goes, sounds good, but it would distract from the onerall appearance of the rocket, and in this case I don't think it would be practicle.
It was also mentioned about the grain posistin of the reinforcement strips, basically, the strips pit strength on the wings across the joined halves.

If antone can build one with upgrades please do so and report your findings here.

The next challenge is when will this kit come out?

Solomoriah
09-27-2007, 09:11 AM
If I was scratchbuilding it, I think I'd buy some of that balsa plywood for the fins. That's just me, of course.

tbzep
09-27-2007, 10:18 AM
A sling is no problem. Think about the Saturn V with a removable sling for the upper portion. A small metal hook is inconspicuous. However, I think I can build it without adding much weight and make the fins very strong. The wing pods might cause some problems, but I think it can be taken care of.

BTW, there's absolutely no need for heavy tubing for that rocket. The only weak point would be fin attachment, but "through the wall" construction will take care of that easily. I've flown rockets made with thin Estes tubing on G motors before. A good example is the FSI Black Brant II which got hammered with F100's back in the day and composite G's for those folks who still fly the old kits. The FSI tubing is thin like Estes tubing.

Doug Sams
09-27-2007, 10:34 AM
...some 1/64" plywood laminate...would make it super strong. Yes. I did this on my stretched Fat Boy. The 1/64" ply turns balsa into steel. The fins were amazingly strong.

This technique, using thicker balsa, can be used in HPR. It's awesome.

In the case of the Interceptor E, keep an eye on the added weight. In fact, you should do that for the 1/32" balsa and card stock lamination techniques I listed, too.

Doug

barone
09-27-2007, 03:27 PM
......BTW, there's absolutely no need for heavy tubing for that rocket. The only weak point would be fin attachment, but "through the wall" construction will take care of that easily. I've flown rockets made with thin Estes tubing on G motors before. A good example is the FSI Black Brant II which got hammered with F100's back in the day and composite G's for those folks who still fly the old kits. The FSI tubing is thin like Estes tubing.I modified a Super Big Bertha to fly 29mm, no thru the wall fins. Flew in on a G. Had no problems but was a really interesting launch. ;)

Mach1
09-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Hmmm, interesting talk. I think cardstock lamination would add more than enough strength without having to resort to those (unsightly) braces on the wings. I've cardstocked fins on several rockets with great success. I usually just use the face card that came with the kit. Such a lamination adds more strength than a typical model rocket would need.

I also agree with the statement about the heavy-walled tube. I don't think it's necessary. My Estes Executioner flew on "G"'s all the time with the stock tubes, no problems at all.

It does not really matter to me. Estes can put out this kit with thick tubes, wing braces, crappy decals and the famous too-short shock cord and I will still buy it. I can fix whatever's wrong with it. :)

Looks like this rocket would be a good canidate to be bashed to 29MM. :D

barone
09-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Definately 29mm, with an adpater for 24mm..... :D

Rocket Doctor
10-01-2007, 04:33 PM
From what I understand, a few 1350 have arrived and will be heading to distributors soon.
If anyone finds a 1350 anywhere, let us know.

Mikus
10-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Not a single one on ebay yet. :(

Rocket Doctor
10-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Not a single one on ebay yet. :(

Their not out yet !!!

Mikus
10-09-2007, 08:37 AM
From what I understand, a few 1350 have arrived and will be heading to distributors soon.
If anyone finds a 1350 anywhere, let us know.
Not a single one on ebay yet.
Their not out yet !!!

?!?!?!?!

Shreadvector
10-09-2007, 08:44 AM
?!?!?!?!

They arrived.

They will soon be sent to distributors.

They are not "out" yet.

This means they are not out on the store shelves yet. This is easy to understand because they have not left the distributors yet because they have not even been sent to the distributors yet.

Does that make sense?

People need to type in longer responses to be understood clearly.....:rolleyes:

PaulK
10-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Nothing new here, but FWIW, I visited my LHS yesterday, and they told me November.

Mikus
10-09-2007, 03:52 PM
If I had to wait on my LHS, I'd still be waiting for the smaller 1250 model and the Der Red Max reissues. I have yet to see either on ANY store shelves and I live in Houston, not exactly a small town.

My point is, AS SOON as anybody can get one, they will start appearing on ebay and the 1st ones will go for a very silly price. I watched this happen with the 1250 reissue back in August.

1250 Reissue on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280141312394)

Rocket Doctor
10-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Check out AC Supply, I saw both Der Red Max and the 1250 Interceptor listed, I heard from a reliable source, they are a bunch of 1350's on US soil, but, when they hit the distributors or stores is just a guess.

I guess the middle of November would be a good guess.

Also, the decals on DRM seem to be thin, and in some cases, missing the white decals.

If you find problems with ANY Estes kit, contact customer service 1-800-525-7561 X216.

Mikus
10-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks, but I got both off the internet back at the beginning of August from Belleville Hobby. The DRM has been built already and it's only flight so far was a success. It was missing the white decals but that doesn't bother me much as it was a learning experience and as I never had the old one, I didn't know any better to miss them. :eek:

The 1250 was slated to be a dress rehearsal for the 1350 but everytime I open the closet door (to the kit stash) I hear a little voice calling out "Build... me...." So far I have resisted but it is just a matter of time. ;)

I am on the waiting list for the 1350 at a store here in Houston, but that's just hedging my bets.