PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Mr. Wizard

Ltvscout
06-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Don Herbert aka Mr. Wizard died Tuesday, June 12th. I used to love watching his show.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-herbert13jun13,0,2250279.story?track=mostviewed-storylevel

sandman
06-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Not as flamboyant and entertaining as Bill Nye the Science Guy but I learned a lot from that man!

Ltvscout
06-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Not as flamboyant and entertaining as Bill Nye the Science Guy but I learned a lot from that man!
True, but they were teaching to two different cultures. The 50's-70's kids were not like kids of today who lose interest in things quickly if it doesn't have a lot of flash.

Daniel Runyon
06-13-2007, 02:42 PM
I was a fan as a child too... seems it was called Mr. Wizard's Universe. I've never heard of the Bill guy, but it's true and quite sad what you say about the generational difference. I've been very grateful that my son has an appreciation for simpler things, and rockets has been a wonderful fit into our doings together. Don't get me wrong though... he LOVES him some sci fi... Star Wars/Star Trek, and we've been watching some of the 80's cartoon Star Blazers lately, but he's not the kind to just constantly lay around watching TV.

I don't remember any specifics of what I learned from watching Mr. Wizard, but the overall vibe of scientific curiousity was definitely enhanced by him. Nowadays I think one of the best substitutes we've got is NASA Connect, of which you can find tons of episodes at YouTube... we watch those a good bit. It's no Mr. Wizard but in these times the pickins are just too slim for truly worthwhile material.

Shreadvector
06-13-2007, 03:52 PM
There were different Mr. Wizard shows in different decades:

http://www.mrwizardstudios.com/

I was a fan as a child too... seems it was called Mr. Wizard's Universe. I've never heard of the Bill guy, but it's true and quite sad what you say about the generational difference. I've been very grateful that my son has an appreciation for simpler things, and rockets has been a wonderful fit into our doings together. Don't get me wrong though... he LOVES him some sci fi... Star Wars/Star Trek, and we've been watching some of the 80's cartoon Star Blazers lately, but he's not the kind to just constantly lay around watching TV.

I don't remember any specifics of what I learned from watching Mr. Wizard, but the overall vibe of scientific curiousity was definitely enhanced by him. Nowadays I think one of the best substitutes we've got is NASA Connect, of which you can find tons of episodes at YouTube... we watch those a good bit. It's no Mr. Wizard but in these times the pickins are just too slim for truly worthwhile material.

sandman
06-13-2007, 05:37 PM
I only saw the shows that aired in the 50's and 60's.

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-13-2007, 09:04 PM
I watched "This Week in Baseball". :o