PDA

View Full Version : Estes Saturn V # 1969 Unboxing

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 12:57 PM
My Estes Saturn V arrived Tuesday afternoon via UPS.

The kit was shipped in a nice sturdy box with just a little wear-and-tear.

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 01:01 PM
I opened the box to discover the kit inside.

A nice use of cardboard spacers to keep the box from moving around during shipment.
An Estes Christmas ornament was included along with a catalog.

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Here is the shipping box without the kit.

I hope everyone enjoyed the 'unboxing'. ;) :D

tbzep
12-12-2018, 01:22 PM
Nice box! :D

Newbomb Turk
12-12-2018, 01:49 PM
Very dramatic deboxification. :)

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 02:06 PM
I appreciate the kind words. :D

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 02:08 PM
Okay.

Enough silliness.

What's in the Saturn V box?!

Well, this stuff.

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 02:11 PM
Here are the major body tubes.

One end of this BT-101 tube was not cut perfectly square and will need a little clean-up.

tbzep
12-12-2018, 02:13 PM
I'd hold off posting detailed pics of the transition section and styrene wraps until you see satellite imagery of heads exploding. :D

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 02:14 PM
Here are the vacuum-formed body wraps and F1 shrouds.

The pictures are of the same parts bag, front and back.

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 02:17 PM
These are the laser-cut centering rings and S-II shroud.

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 02:19 PM
This is a bag of miscellaneous parts.

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 02:20 PM
A bag of recovery components.

Newbomb Turk
12-12-2018, 02:21 PM
I'd hold off posting detailed pics of the transition section and styrene wraps until you see satellite imagery of heads exploding. :D

Agreed. My hands are shaking as though I were trying to precisely place details on this build.

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 02:23 PM
These are the molded F1 engine nozzle bells.

Newbomb Turk
12-12-2018, 02:24 PM
So this is how the other half lives...

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 02:25 PM
The new molded capsule and LES parts.

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 02:26 PM
The molded fins.

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 02:31 PM
Now this is the part I was most looking forward to seeing on the new kit.

The LEM Shroud/transition.

This is a nice blow-molded piece. Good detailing.

There's an anchor point for attaching a shock cord/recovery system.

My psychic powers are telling me that this component would make an excellent part for a 1/100th scale Saturn 1B kit. ;)

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 02:34 PM
Here is the decal sheet.

I think there was a printing mistake.

There's "UUUU" then "SSSS" and "AAAA".

Oh, wait. Never mind... :chuckle:

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 02:37 PM
Instructions.

These are an English language only set.
Not as much verbage as say those found in the K-36 kit but definitely more than in other recent kits.

There are two very nice pages of painting instructions.

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Finally, the 'bonus' item.

It is the Revel 1/96th scale LEM model.
This model has been around almost fifty years.

The packaging states "Made in Poland".

I probably built two or three of these when I was a kid.

Initiator001
12-12-2018, 02:43 PM
That's it.

I do not plan to open the part packages until I am ready to actually assemble the kit.

I hope everyone enjoyed the pictures.

Now, go out and get one (Or two) for yourself! :)

Flash
12-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Awesome, how about a pdf scan of those plans so we can study up:)

LeeR
12-12-2018, 05:10 PM
Here is the decal sheet.

Any decisions yet on which of the three versions you’ll build? ;)

Earl
12-12-2018, 05:13 PM
Bob-

Thanks for taking the time to share these images with us. Now we all won't have to cave and get that one listed on ebay for $350!

One question: what particular painting treatment is given for the SM? I was hoping for some type of special decal/wrap for the SM, showing at least a decent depiction of the Apollo 11 SM.

In the old Centuri kit, as many recall, there was the chrome wrapper that was actually a depiction of the Apollo 4 SM (first Saturn V flight). However, in all the Estes releases the SM decor has been simply full coverage silver paint.

Is that the case again for this round, or are there more specific painting/detailing directions?

Thanks again,

Earl

Scott_650
12-12-2018, 06:31 PM
Here is the decal sheet.

Hmmm, looks like the “I” in UNITED is out of alignment. Not hard to fix but seems odd. Could just be the loss of resolution so we’ll all see for ourselves after delivery 😎

Scott_650
12-12-2018, 06:34 PM
Thanks for giving us all a bit of a vicarious thrill!

bguff
12-12-2018, 08:09 PM
Finally, the 'bonus' item.

It is the Revel 1/96th scale LEM model.
This model has been around almost fifty years.

The packaging states "Made in Poland".

I probably built two or three of these when I was a kid.

Folks may want to find an appropriate sized display case for the lunar module:
https://www.eplastics.com/home-office/displays-holders/display-cases
I obtained a display case for a 1/70th scale lunar module i built.

Bob

tdracer
12-12-2018, 08:31 PM
Bob-

One question: what particular painting treatment is given for the SM? I was hoping for some type of special decal/wrap for the SM, showing at least a decent depiction of the Apollo 11 SM.

In the old Centuri kit, as many recall, there was the chrome wrapper that was actually a depiction of the Apollo 4 SM (first Saturn V flight). However, in all the Estes releases the SM decor has been simply full coverage silver paint.

Is that the case again for this round, or are there more specific painting/detailing directions?

Thanks again,

Earl
Assuming there isn't something 'special' for the SM, I know a guy through Shapeways that's provided some nice 3d printer Saturn parts for me. He can do chrome like printed wraps for the SM - along with 3d printed radiators that you glue on the wrap.
So far, it's all been larger scale - 1/35 for a custom built S1B I did, and 1/48 for the SHR and 1/70th for the Apogee kits.
However if there is sufficient interested I can contact him about something for this Estes 1/100 Saturn V.

LeeR
12-12-2018, 08:53 PM
Bob-

Thanks for taking the time to share these images with us. Now we all won't have to cave and get that one listed on ebay for $350!

Thanks again,

Earl

Stickershock does full wraps for the 1:100 and 1:70 Saturn 1B. I’m sure you could get just the Service Module wrap. His vinyl decals are very nice.

Another possible source is accur8 (John Pursley), but I thought I’d seen that his were for Semroc Saturn 1B (1:70).

the mole
12-12-2018, 09:52 PM
Stickershock does full wraps for the 1:100 and 1:70 Saturn 1B. I’m sure you could get just the Service Module wrap. His vinyl decals are very nice.

Another possible source is accur8 (John Pursley), but I thought I’d seen that his were for Semroc Saturn 1B (1:70).

You could use this Service Module wrap in this thread.
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=13716&highlight=1%2F100+Saturn+wraps
Go to post #24 and use number 10 down PDF marked Module.

Just a though.

Earl
12-12-2018, 09:55 PM

I have a wrap that was posted on the forum here (well, a full set of pdf wraps for the Saturn 1b posted a handful of years back by 'the Mole', if I remember correctly). However, there are some differences mission-to-mission on the SMs, though I do not know right off hand what the specific layout of the Apollo 11 SM would be. But, from these most recent posts, there are at least several possible sources. I do think Pursely's offerings currently are for the 1/70 Saturn 1b.

Actually, I was just mildly curious if Estes had done anything different on this model's SM than they had done for all their past Saturn Vs, which as noted earlier has been a fully silver painted SM with no other detailing (aside from the RCS quads).

Earl

Earl
12-12-2018, 09:59 PM
You could use this Service Module wrap in this thread.
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=13716&highlight=1%2F100+Saturn+wraps
Go to post #24 and use number 10 down PDF marked Module.

Just a though.

...and I finish my last post to see I had guessed right! Ahh, not all gray matter memory cells are gone...yet!!

But yes, that was an excellent set of wraps I recalled you had posted. I downloaded them at the time, but it is good to bring that thread back up for those who might have mssed it then.

Earl

the mole
12-12-2018, 10:19 PM
...and I finish my last post to see I had guessed right! Ahh, not all gray matter memory cells are gone...yet!!

But yes, that was an excellent set of wraps I recalled you had posted. I downloaded them at the time, but it is good to bring that thread back up for those who might have mssed it then.

Earl

Thanks, Earl for your kind words on my Saturn 1B wraps. For further reference, I gave Stickershock permission to use my wraps for his Saturn 1b 1/70 and 1/100 scale vinyl wraps.

LeeR
12-13-2018, 11:14 AM
Hmmm, looks like the “I” in UNITED is out of alignment. Not hard to fix but seems odd. Could just be the loss of resolution so we’ll all see for ourselves after delivery 😎

I’ll check my old 30th anniversary kit I’m building, but I think all the previous issues of #2157 kits have the misaligned “I”. In his blog, Chris Michielssen pointed this out and cut above and below the letter and shifted it over.

UPDATE:
My kit has perfectly aligned “I”s on the decal. Maybe just subsequent re-issues of the #2157. Those newer ones I have are still sealed so I am not sure which are affected.

Initiator001
12-13-2018, 01:49 PM
Any decisions yet on which of the three versions you’ll build? ;)

At first, I thought I would go in order with the "UUUU".

Then I thought I should go in alphabetical order so "AAAA" version first.

However, my last name starts with 'S' so the "SSSS" should be first.

I am now very confused. :confused:

;) :D

Initiator001
12-13-2018, 01:54 PM
Bob-

Thanks again,

Earl

Earl,

I looked at the finishing instructions for the new Estes Saturn V.

There is no chrome wrap-around.

The instructions show to paint the Service Module silver. A marking guide is included to show placement of the RCS quads.

That's it.

JumpJet
12-13-2018, 06:37 PM
This is the same decal sheet used in the past two offerings of this kit.

John Boren

rraeford
12-15-2018, 07:31 PM
I am certain someone has pointed this out before, but the USA on the decal sheet is in the wrong font. That seems an odd oversight considering that decals (at least in the context of this kit) are the easiest thing to get right. Or, am I missing something?

PaulK
12-24-2018, 08:02 AM
I looked through the 1969 I just picked up (at my Local Hobby Shop!), and the improvements look really good. The LEM transition, of course, is the coolest part, but the improvements to all the wraps are an equally good upgrade. The bottom wrap and fairings is probably the biggest improvement, the 2157 kit is tough to get these to fit, and no matter how you do it, they don't line up right, and the fairings don't overhang the bottom enough. It's not a big deal, really, as I don't expect this kit to win scale contests, but still, the more accurate the better. The one piece wrap for the SIV looks great too, it'll be easier to install, easier to finish, and just look better.

The only real mistake I see in the instructions are the scale kits on the last page, they're labeled all wrong. Kind of funny, really. Oh, and they mention Tenax 7R, which has been OOP for quite a while. Squadron now makes the stuff, it looks and behaves identical.

As soon as I finish my 2157 build, I'm going to build this one, and buy another. It'll be a good year to have a couple of these to fly.

tbzep
12-24-2018, 09:18 AM
In addition to Squadron, there are lots of alternatives for Tenax. Plastruct Plastic Weld and MicroMark "Same Stuff" both come in a little bottle with applicator.

Weld-On #3 comes in a larger can and is what Adam Savage (Mythbusters) said is used by ILM and others to make movie models. They pour some in a bottle cap or the bottom of a coke can and brush it on. Straight MEK will work too.

ghrocketman
12-24-2018, 10:10 AM
Straight MEK will work, but it is SLOW.
If you can't find "Same Stuff" plain Dope Thinner works better than MEK.
Plastruct BONDENE is the same as Tenax 7R (MeCl), but Plastruct plastic welder is NOT; that stuff is just MEK like Testors liquid cement now is. Too slow.

tbzep
12-24-2018, 10:13 AM
Straight MEK will work, but it is SLOW.
If you can't find "Same Stuff" plain Dope Thinner works better than MEK.
Plastruct BONDENE is the same as Tenax 7R (MeCl), but Plastruct plastic welder is NOT; that stuff is just MEK like Testors liquid cement now is. Too slow.
Like I said, lots of alternatives...with different strengths and weaknesses. You should set up a full list with their properties so it can be pinned.