PDA

View Full Version : A question from "The Vixen."

jeffyjeep
08-13-2017, 08:39 PM
After seeing on TV that the audio contents of the 12" "golden record" that's part of the Voyager I and Voyager II probes are now available to the public, my wife. a.k.a. "The V2 Vixen" asked me a question:
Do the probes have aboard them a device to actually PLAY the record?

I've searched on line and I can't find a definite answer.

Thanks.

jadebox
08-13-2017, 08:52 PM
After seeing on TV that the audio contents of the 12" "golden record" that's part of the Voyager I and Voyager II probes are now available to the public, my wife. a.k.a. "The V2 Vixen" asked me a question:

No. But, there's a description of how to create a player etched into the discs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Golden_Record#/media/File:The_Sounds_of_Earth_Record_Cover_-_GPN-2000-001978.jpg

(Not that I understand it.)

-- Roger

Doug Sams
08-13-2017, 08:59 PM

Thanks.Someday, alien lifeforms will find those 12" vinyl cave drawings. Not only will they be unable to decipher them - because their turntable doesn't do 33-⅓ :) - but they'll end up playing Frisbee with them :)

Doug

SecretSquirrel
08-13-2017, 09:44 PM
The Voyager probes are the reason we haven't been visited by aliens. They have the record, the drawing of a man and a woman and the diagram of our location.

So we sent out a mix tape, nude selfies and directions to our house. No one in their right mind is going to respond to that.

luke strawwalker
08-13-2017, 10:02 PM
The Voyager probes are the reason we haven't been visited by aliens. They have the record, the drawing of a man and a woman and the diagram of our location.

So we sent out a mix tape, nude selfies and directions to our house. No one in their right mind is going to respond to that.

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

ROFL... Ohmigersh I nearly shot milk out of my nose when I read that (and I haven't had milk for a couple hours since dessert after supper).

Too funny... and likely too true LOL:)

Don you are one crazy dude...

Later! OL J R :)

Newbomb Turk
08-14-2017, 07:04 AM
Yes, Don wins the internet.

jadebox
08-14-2017, 07:32 AM

Nope. No nudes on the Voyager disks. (Okay there is a crude photo recorded on one of the disks, but we couldn't have a nude drawing on the disk's surface like Pioneer. Oh, no.)

-- Roger

jeffyjeep
08-14-2017, 08:00 AM

Now THAT'S funny!!

"The Vixen" has just wet herself laughing!

jeffyjeep
08-14-2017, 08:12 AM
No. But, there's a description of how to create a player etched into the discs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Golden_Record#/media/File:The_Sounds_of_Earth_Record_Cover_-_GPN-2000-001978.jpg

(Not that I understand it.)

-- Roger

Thanks for the link. So if I understand it correctly, the stylus to play the record IS provided ("just pay a separate shipping and handling fee") :D ;)

SecretSquirrel
08-14-2017, 09:16 AM
Nope. No nudes on the Voyager disks. (Okay there is a crude photo recorded on one of the disks, but we couldn't have a nude drawing on the disk's surface like Pioneer. Oh, no.)

-- Roger

There's always that one guy who just can't go with the joke.

jadebox
08-14-2017, 07:40 PM
There's always that one guy who just can't go with the joke.

I am just amazed that NASA gave in to the prudes over something so silly.

jeffyjeep
08-14-2017, 09:45 PM
Then on the next deep space probe we send, instead of a likeness of nude humans we could send an engraved picture of Roger from "American Dad." Just for laughs.

jadebox
08-15-2017, 06:31 AM
Then on the next deep space probe we send, instead of a likeness of nude humans we could send an engraved picture of Roger from "American Dad." Just for laughs.

My namesake! I am so proud. :-)

-- Roger

tbzep
08-15-2017, 09:20 AM
They will end up listing 63 genders and warn the aliens not to assume, lest they succumb to violent cross dressed protesters. :rolleyes:

luke strawwalker
08-18-2017, 10:43 AM
They will end up listing 63 genders and warn the aliens not to assume, lest they succumb to violent cross dressed protesters. :rolleyes:

Sad but true...

Later! OL J R :)