PDA

View Full Version : *Clear* C6-7 motor (link)

blackshire
05-22-2017, 12:02 AM
Hello All,

Here is an interesting video (see: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xvVJQSGHts ) of a *clear* Estes C6-7 motor being fired, shown at several frame speeds. The production of the glass tubing-cased transparent motor is also shown. I wonder when Estes will start selling these? :-)

tbzep
05-22-2017, 03:25 PM
I know he drilled a little to clean the nozzle, but you can see that the thrust vectored back and forth during the burn. I have some still photos that show a D12 vectored considerably more, enough that it helped tip over a nose heavy rocket and cause it to crash.

blackshire
05-23-2017, 04:07 AM
I know he drilled a little to clean the nozzle, but you can see that the thrust vectored back and forth during the burn. I have some still photos that show a D12 vectored considerably more, enough that it helped tip over a nose heavy rocket and cause it to crash.I thought of GH and B14s when I saw him drilling that motor... :-) I remember seeing a picture of your Astron Omega doing a "gravity turn" (with some unwanted TVC [Thrust Vector Control] help, after part of the nozzle eroded suddenly) before it pranged--Ouch!

luke strawwalker
05-23-2017, 06:32 PM
Neat but needlessly difficult in the execution... Milling off the casing and then machining down the propellant slug to epoxy it inside glass... I guess for purposes of the video of ACTUAL mass produced model rocket propellant it's pretty cool, but if the idea is to just see a model rocket engine burn through a clear casing, this video below does it MUCH easier and safer (using a clear plastic tube)... (from 4:45 onward).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fR9neVnS8&t=288s

Later! OL J R :)

blackshire
05-23-2017, 08:50 PM
Neat but needlessly difficult in the execution... Milling off the casing and then machining down the propellant slug to epoxy it inside glass... I guess for purposes of the video of ACTUAL mass produced model rocket propellant it's pretty cool, but if the idea is to just see a model rocket engine burn through a clear casing, this video below does it MUCH easier and safer (using a clear plastic tube)... (from 4:45 onward).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fR9neVnS8&t=288s

Later! OL J R :)I agree, but for a different reason. It isn't necessary to mill off the rolled paper casing of a black powder (or even composite propellant, in the case of the new Klima motors) model rocket motor--I have peeled off the parallel-wound paper casings. Also:

Thank you for posting the video of the "scratch-made" clear-cased motor. Another type of clear motor that I've seen pictures and videos of is the acrylic-fuel hybrid motor, in which the "integral fuel grain/casing" consists of an acrylic cylinder with a void running down its center (these see-through hybrid rocket motors are also sometimes featured in science museums as "hands-on" rocket demonstration exhibits).

luke strawwalker
05-24-2017, 09:01 PM
I agree, but for a different reason. It isn't necessary to mill off the rolled paper casing of a black powder (or even composite propellant, in the case of the new Klima motors) model rocket motor--I have peeled off the parallel-wound paper casings. Also:

Thank you for posting the video of the "scratch-made" clear-cased motor. Another type of clear motor that I've seen pictures and videos of is the acrylic-fuel hybrid motor, in which the "integral fuel grain/casing" consists of an acrylic cylinder with a void running down its center (these see-through hybrid rocket motors are also sometimes featured in science museums as "hands-on" rocket demonstration exhibits).

You're welcome.

Yep, I've seen vids of those too.

Hope you're doing well blackshire!

Later! OL J R :)

blackshire
05-25-2017, 12:40 AM
You're welcome.

Yep, I've seen vids of those too.

Hope you're doing well blackshire!

Later! OL J R :)Thank you--my leg wounds *finally* closed, after years! I'll have to use a leg sequential-compression pump (along with my compression garments) for the rest of my life to keep the legs from swelling, but that's a small price to pay for keeping my legs (and hopefully avoiding another life-threatening MRSA and pseudomonas infection). Also:

If you know anyone who has lymphedema and/or veinous edema in their legs, I discovered an almost embarrassingly-simple solution to the persistent open wounds problem that could help them. For years I had sat and slept (I have to sleep in a recliner chair; I can't sleep on a bed because my back locks up if I try, due to ankylosing spondylitis) with my feet on a box that served as a hassock, but my legs were angled about 30 degrees down from horizontal. Just switching to a taller hassock that keeps my legs almost horizontal resulted in my leg wounds closing within less than three weeks!