PDA

View Full Version : Completing the new Estes Shuttle

jeffyjeep
07-15-2016, 10:45 PM
I believe the worst is over with building the Estes Shuttle!

The model is now in (4) sub-assemblies: the orbiter, the BT80 booster, the orbiter's mount and faux SRB assembly, and the belly mounted faux JATO units.

The orbiter is almost finished. Its enrobed in coats of primer and gloss white and will degas for the remainder of the weekend before receiving decals. The orbiter's mount and SRB assembly and the Jato unit array will be painted prior to mounting to the BT80 booster and the booster will be painted prior to their mounting. Painting the model to match the kit's face card after assembly would be impossible for me.

Time for some hooch. Good night. TBC

jeffyjeep
07-16-2016, 02:23 PM
Now to prepare the sub-assemblies for painting.

As the "vicious, bloodthirsty, Micro-Mutt" (a.k.a Bitsy) stands guard, I bring the stuff out to the front porch and using my Herculean thighs as a work surface I apply Deluxe Sand n Seal to the laser cut edges of the cardstock pieces that won't be receiving glue. This will help keep them from "fuzzilating" when they're painted.

I then use Testors thin width masking tape to mask off the edges of the cardstock pieces that will be receiving adhesive.

TBC

jeffyjeep
07-16-2016, 11:21 PM
The faux JATO array and the faux SRB's are now painted gloss white. The booster's fins are filletted. Prior to painting the booster unit I mask off the places where the SRB and JATO units will be glued on.

I've still not decided on a top coat color for the booster unit. I MAY even use Testors light earth--the same color as I used for this Scud missile.

Time for a nightcap. Good night. TBC

jeffyjeep
07-17-2016, 01:07 PM
Booster color test.

I think I'll probably go with Rustoleum Warm Caramel rattle can.

TBC

Blushingmule
07-18-2016, 10:50 AM
Jeff,

Very nice!

The Warm Caramel look like a great choice.

Where did you get that sealer? It looks British.

Bob

dlazarus6660
07-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Very cool build, JJ.

Thank you.

ghrocketman
07-18-2016, 04:05 PM
UGH !
That's a water-based sealer.
NEVER !

jeffyjeep
07-18-2016, 05:15 PM
UGH !
That's a water-based sealer.
NEVER !

I know! I know! That's exactly what I said at first--being an Aerogloss purist, but the stuff just WORKS SO DARN WELL that I actually use it more than Aerogloss SS now.

jeffyjeep
07-18-2016, 05:18 PM
Jeff,

Very nice!

The Warm Caramel look like a great choice.

Where did you get that sealer? It looks British.

Bob

It is British. It was sent to me a few years ago by a forum member to try. It sat on my rocket bench for over a year before I ever used it--first on a BNC. After that I had to have more. I found it on ebay for a reasonable price.

I believe I may have done thread on using it.

jeffyjeep
07-18-2016, 05:31 PM
I found it. I did an extensive post on Deluxe Sand n Seal in a thread last year titled:

Estes Odyssey: a painting challenge

stefanj
07-18-2016, 08:32 PM
This looks like a VERY daunting build, but I think jeffyjeep is showing it is possible . . .

ghrocketman
07-18-2016, 09:18 PM
This build looks great from Jeffy as per his standard stellar ability.

Obviously due to the complexity of this kit it is NOT for those with beginning or even moderate building skills. You better have a few DOZEN rocket builds under your belt before tackling this.
On the other hand, if you are used to building R/C aircraft from KITS (NOT ARFs), it should be no problem.
Keep in mind, Jeffy has STELLAR rocketry building and finishing skills !
He can make a K-41 Mercury Redstone tower build seem easy !

scigs30
07-19-2016, 08:28 AM
Jerryjeep,

Is this the same bottle of sealer I sent you a couple of years ago? I only used it a couple of times but stopped using it. The problem I encountered was after a primer coat it produced a crackle effect on the balsa surface.

jeffyjeep
07-19-2016, 06:44 PM
Jerryjeep,

Is this the same bottle of sealer I sent you a couple of years ago? I only used it a couple of times but stopped using it. The problem I encountered was after a primer coat it produced a crackle effect on the balsa surface.

It isn't, but it's only the first replacement jar. The jar you sent me a few years ago seemed to last forever because the stuff goes such a long way.

Thanks for turning me on to it. I've never had a reaction with paint with it.

jeffyjeep
07-19-2016, 06:54 PM
This build looks great from Jeffy as per his standard stellar ability.

Obviously due to the complexity of this kit it is NOT for those with beginning or even moderate building skills. You better have a few DOZEN rocket builds under your belt before tackling this.
On the other hand, if you are used to building R/C aircraft from KITS (NOT ARFs), it should be no problem.
Keep in mind, Jeffy has STELLAR rocketry building and finishing skills !
He can make a K-41 Mercury Redstone tower build seem easy !

Thanks for the compliments! --but you might think differently if you saw some of my building, painting, or finishing disasters.

.....like this Estes Screaming Eagle I built back in 2010.

Can you tell what's wrong with it?

jeffyjeep
07-19-2016, 07:04 PM
....as for Mercury Redstone LES scaffolds, I haven't done a K-41 kit since the 1970's. The last MR LES scaffold I built from sticks was this Neubauer Mercury Little Joe. It took FOR-EV-ER!!

mojo1986
07-19-2016, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the compliments! --but you might think differently if you saw some of my building, painting, or finishing disasters.

Can you tell what's wrong with it?

Just a guess..............'No Step' decals turned 180 degrees?

jeffyjeep
07-19-2016, 08:04 PM
Just a guess..............'No Step' decals turned 180 degrees?

That's not it.

DeanHFox
07-19-2016, 08:45 PM

Can you tell what's wrong with it?Vertical Stabs are backwards...they look forward swept. :)

jeffyjeep
07-19-2016, 08:54 PM
Vertical Stabs are backwards...they look forward swept. :)

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

I did THIS one correctly:

ghrocketman
07-19-2016, 10:08 PM
Spotted the reversed vertical fins on that Screaming Eagle IMMEDIATELY...it looks more like a Mooney than an F-15 !
OOPS....

jeffyjeep
07-19-2016, 10:32 PM
BTW, the Shuttle completion is delayed for a few days. I'm on a job in Jackson, MI.

dlazarus6660
07-20-2016, 12:11 PM
My goddess is an hour east of you.

Any good restaurants in Jackson?

ghrocketman
07-20-2016, 12:47 PM
I'm about an hour NE of Jackson, Mi.
Jackson is home of the JMRC, probably the largest rocketry club in Michigan.
They sometimes hold launches at Michigan Int'l Speedway property (where NASCAR/Indy car races are held here).

jeffyjeep
07-20-2016, 08:12 PM

I don't know--but there's LOTS of Microbreweries in Jackson! :)

jeffyjeep
07-20-2016, 11:21 PM
I'm back home from Jackson now. I managed to get all of the rattle can painting done on Sunday so the coats are nice and dry and degassed.

I've now hand painted the black details of the faux SRB and JATO units and the black details of the orbiter.

Barring some kind of accident, I believe all painting is done now.

Time for a strong drink. Good night. TBC

Blushingmule
07-20-2016, 11:32 PM
Just lovely!

Bob

kevinj
07-21-2016, 08:36 AM
I didn't see you mention it in the other thread, but did you have trouble with he glue shrinking the cardstock skins on the framework? What glue were you using for putting the skins on the glider structure?

kj

jeffyjeep
07-21-2016, 09:00 AM
Normally I would use Alleene's Super Tacky glue on "skins" like this because it doesn't soak the paper, but instead I used a THIN spread of Titebond Red on all of the edges of the frame to attached the cardstock.

neil_w
07-21-2016, 09:37 AM
Was there a particular reason you didn't use the Aleene's this time?

jeffyjeep
07-21-2016, 10:11 AM
Was there a particular reason you didn't use the Aleene's this time?

Yes, because the cardstock of the kit was exceptionally thick and well polished I did a test on a scrap piece of it with the Titebond and verified it wasn't going to soak it.

I use Alleenes's exclusively for some applications, such as:

-embossed paper wraps of Estes and Semroc Saturn models
-Mars Lander wraps
-Quest aeroshrouds
-Mars Snooper paper parts
-any rolled paper transitions and faux engine nozzles

Eagle3
07-21-2016, 12:48 PM

Steaks Eatery is pretty good off of Hwy 127 just south of Jackson.

I'm the NAR advisor for JMRC. We hold monthly launches either at Graves Campground near Michigan International Speedway (MIS) or at one of two farm fields near my house in Manchester. The club website has our launch schedule and which field is to be used. http://www.jmrconline.org/

The site needs an update for next launch. It will be Aug 6th at MIS.

September is up in the air. We can't get in at MIS any weekend and we won't know if the crops will be harvested from the farm fields (but one should be available by late Sept.

jeffyjeep
07-22-2016, 04:08 PM
Decals have now been applied to the subassemblies and to the booster. The waterslide decals for the black bands of the JATO units and the SRB's are way too short (not even haldf the needed length for the circumferences of the tubes,) so I ditched them and banded the JATO units and SRB tubes with 1/16" black pinstripe tape.

The trim flap(?) decals for the rudders of the orbiter were also incorrect: both were "rights" so I used that as an excuse to apply NASA meatball decals on the rudders.

I then shot the booster with Testor's Dullcote lacquer and brushed the orbiter, the JATO's, and the SRB's with acrylic floor polish.

Almost finished now!

TBC

jeffyjeep
07-22-2016, 08:00 PM
I first remove the thin strips of masking tape that have been on the booster's body for seems like years. This gives me naked BT for the adhesive.

First the JATO's. These are easier than the SRB's because the rear mounting brace of the JATO unit registers to the sides of the booster's fins. I apply beads of 15 minute epoxy to the naked slits on the booster's BT and then lay down the JATO unit. I brace it by hand until the epoxy sets.

I also epoxy on the rear engine cap.

TBC

jeffyjeep
07-22-2016, 08:05 PM
Now the SRB units.

I first test fit the SRB/orbiter cradle mount assembly onto it's designated place on the booster. I then make pencil marks to aid in alignment as the assembly is laid down onto the epoxy.

I then apply the adhesive and mount the SRB assembly and hold it for 15 minutes.

TBC

jeffyjeep
07-22-2016, 10:24 PM
The Estes Shuttle is finished! The orbiter is attached and it's ready for action!

Thanks for watching, and for those of you fortunate enough to be at NARAM 58 I wish you a pleasant and safe journey and I hope you have the time of your lives!

Good night.

stefanj
07-22-2016, 10:48 PM
That came out looking great!

I think I would retrofit it with a 29mm mount.

ghrocketman
07-23-2016, 06:49 PM
+1 to the 29mm mount idea from stefanj !
There are SO many choices in the hobbyline RMS 29 40/120 casing.