PDA

View Full Version : I Got Into My First BAR-Flight Yesterday Morning….

Blastfromthepast
07-14-2016, 08:28 AM
After not having pressed a model rocket launch button in 33 years, I finally got it going this morning.

Official BAR now.

The model was the recently finished Estes Mini-Brute Hornet.

The model launched on, not one, but three perfect straight-up flights, all on 1/2A3-‘tooties’. I would have flown it a fourth time but one of the igni….’er… ‘starters’ was broken right out of the package, and I didn’t have any spares.

This was also a good test of my new home-built launch pad and controller. All worked flawlessly.

The launch site was pretty appropriate for the color scheme of the Hornet – Dove Valley Regional Park right across the street from the Denver Broncos HQ and training facility. Orange and Blue, Baby!

I chose to do the launching early in the morning ( 7:00-ish) because it is usually calm. At launch time, wind was non-existent. Temp around 65 degrees. I set the rod angle at near vertical, and the model flew straight up on all three flights. A streamer was used, so the bird landed within 50 feet of the pad on all flights.

A perfect start to my BAR career!

I’m totally stoked!

mojo1986
07-14-2016, 08:35 AM
Nice rocket, nice launcher and a great looking field. Welcome back to the fold!

Joe

JohnNGA
07-14-2016, 09:20 AM
Welcome back!!

Joe Wooten
07-14-2016, 02:41 PM
Welcome back!!

And open your wallet....wide open.....

stefanj
07-14-2016, 08:45 PM
GOOBA-Gabba
GOOBA-Gabba
We accept you
We accept you
GOOBA-Gabba
GOOBA-Gabba
One of us
ONE OF US

dwmzmm
07-14-2016, 09:13 PM
Warning: Becoming a BAR is very addicting....... :p

jetlag
07-14-2016, 11:00 PM
Warning: Becoming a BAR is very addicting....... :p

Truer words were never spoken!

Allen

ghrocketman
07-15-2016, 01:49 AM
Congrats !
Now launch something with at least a 50+n-sec F or larger for a REAL thrill !

Blastfromthepast
07-15-2016, 02:13 PM
Thanks, All....

Yep - This is addictive....

and Yep....gonna be hard on the hobby budget....

As for flying MPR - been there, done that. I most likely won't be getting into much big stuff this time around. Budget and time won't allow it. For the time being, I am quite content to stick to small LPR models that I can just take to a nearby park and do the 'WHOOSH-POP' thing. I foresee most of my model rocket flights not exceeding B engines, believe it or not!
Most of my upcoming model builds will be scale, futuristic/exotic birds, and small gliders. The emphasis will definitely be on modeling craftsmanship rather than going all out with size and power. I just want to have some nice looking models that I can fly low power without straining my eyes to follow and going on long chases for recovery. Plus there's the risk of easily losing quality models in which I have a lot of investment in time and funds.
I don't even have a desire at this time to become involved with the NAR / Club / Contest scene. I was all about that in the 70s and 80s, and don't really wish to tread that ground again.

Must be getting old......

Anyway, my latest projects on the bench now are an Estes Lynx kit and a clone of the MPC Lunar Patrol. I had one of those back in the 70s and it was probably my favorite bird(s) to fly out of all the models in my vast fleet.

luke strawwalker
07-15-2016, 04:09 PM
That's cool...

Ever since HPR came about, it seems like the ONLY focus is on bigger and higher power rockets. There's also an attitude, even if sometimes unspoken, that "if you're not flying HPR, you're just 'playing with toys'-- the "real men" fly HPR."

That's mostly bunk, because most of the HPR activities I've seen are just a glorified, bigger "woosh pop", albeit costing hundreds of dollars a flight in some cases, and adding some expensive electronics for dual deploy or whatever. A lot of it is overbuilt epoxy-slathered "anti-tank rounds" that have NO build elegance, rather they just "shove a bigger motor in it" until they get the thing to fly.

I DO like mid-power, but I have NO intention of messing with HPR... I simply REFUSE to get a "certification" for a HOBBY (leisure) activity. Plus, the expense is ridiculous. In addition, unless you're interested in flying into the stratosphere or going Mach+, there's basically little you can do with HPR that you cannot do with LPR/MPR.

Later and have fun! OL J R :)

BEC
07-15-2016, 04:35 PM
Welcome back. I came back a out 6 years ago and have been going pretty crazy, actually. There are close to 400 kits in the "stash" now since getting back in. And while my emphasis is not so strictly on the craftsmanship aspects as you, my models do look much better than they did 35+ years ago, and I do sometimes get complimented on that, which is cool.

I did get involved in the local contest scene (such as it is - it's not huge) and did go to one NARAM (NARAM-56 where, much to my shock, I actually won one event) but that's not my focus.

And I did go just far enough to get my L1 certification (motor eject, almost stock Estes Leviathan) - mostly so I could fly MPR models that use motors with more than 80N average thrust (the three-grain 29mm CTI Smoky Sam, which is a G88, being my favorite such thing).

But black powder motors - B-D or E are really where the action is for me.

That and working with kids' groups up to and including local TARC teams.

Daddyisabar
07-18-2016, 04:02 PM
That's cool...

Ever since HPR came about, it seems like the ONLY focus is on bigger and higher power rockets. There's also an attitude, even if sometimes unspoken, that "if you're not flying HPR, you're just 'playing with toys'-- the "real men" fly HPR."

That's mostly bunk, because most of the HPR activities I've seen are just a glorified, bigger "woosh pop", albeit costing hundreds of dollars a flight in some cases, and adding some expensive electronics for dual deploy or whatever. A lot of it is overbuilt epoxy-slathered "anti-tank rounds" that have NO build elegance, rather they just "shove a bigger motor in it" until they get the thing to fly.

I DO like mid-power, but I have NO intention of messing with HPR... I simply REFUSE to get a "certification" for a HOBBY (leisure) activity. Plus, the expense is ridiculous. In addition, unless you're interested in flying into the stratosphere or going Mach+, there's basically little you can do with HPR that you cannot do with LPR/MPR.

OMG! I just invited Blastfromthepast to the Tripoli luncheon on Friday at the BBQ shack! Don't worry, I will chaperone him through the shock and awe of coming back to model rocketry after thirty years. There might even be some one there that has actually flown Micromaxx. Maybe some old dudes who remember the Mighty "D" is for experienced rocketeers only! Those who remember motors in red tubes and diamond packs!

But he might also over hear the VMAX recipe from the quick burn ABM program of the late 60's. To bad they cancelled that one, those motors were quick! I will shield him if any discussion of the radioactive fuel grains of the same era come up. Oh the late 60's was where the real action was! But we will not create any 21st century power and altitude monsters!

Blastfromthepast
07-19-2016, 08:44 AM
OH, GEEZ !!!!

You invited THAT guy????

He's a Nerd!

Daddyisabar
07-19-2016, 12:38 PM
OH, GEEZ !!!!

You invited THAT guy????

He's a Nerd!

There are still a few who collect side rules and could scare up an original pocket protector.

Blastfromthepast
07-19-2016, 02:39 PM
I've got one of each. Do I need to bring them Friday? Just don't expect me to remember how to use the SR. Also, if necessary, I can put some tape on my reading glasses....

Daddyisabar
07-20-2016, 11:11 AM
I've got one of each. Do I need to bring them Friday? Just don't expect me to remember how to use the SR. Also, if necessary, I can put some tape on my reading glasses....

No need for the SR. It is all computer simulated these days. Tape on glasses is still OK.

ghrocketman
07-20-2016, 12:48 PM
More POWRRRRRRRRRRRR !

Daddyisabar
07-20-2016, 01:29 PM
More POWRRRRRRRRRRRR !

Gotta be careful bringing in all that high power arrogance that we all just have to make fun of. Over on that "other forum" you guys love so much they are expecting him to get a Level One in short order and then quickly to Level Two. Flying 18mm BP classic kits in the park is cool. As a wee BAR you do not have to GO BIG OR GO HOME. :)

jetlag
07-20-2016, 02:37 PM
That's cool...

Could not agree more!

Allen

ghrocketman
07-20-2016, 10:48 PM
I like it all...from 1/2A through about J-power.
Once you get over a J, it just gets too darned expensive.
I fly mostly B through F power, but have went much higher.
Technically by the letter of the law, one can fly H power without a cert providing it does not exceed the FAA propellant mass limit, which many H motors are under.
The 80-newton average thrust max set by the CPSC is a total crock as is the ENTIRE premise of a CPSC.

Joe Wooten
07-21-2016, 06:26 AM
I like it all...from 1/2A through about J-power.
Once you get over a J, it just gets too darned expensive.
I fly mostly B through F power, but have went much higher.
Technically by the letter of the law, one can fly H power without a cert providing it does not exceed the FAA propellant mass limit, which many H motors are under.
The 80-newton average thrust max set by the CPSC is a total crock as is the ENTIRE premise of a CPSC.

I thought the motor vendors will not sell H and above without a certification?

Daddyisabar
07-21-2016, 01:39 PM
I thought the motor vendors will not sell H and above without a certification?

There are always garage sales and the black market.

ghrocketman
07-21-2016, 02:57 PM
I know several vendors that sell H & I motors via internet w/o cert as long as you 'say' it is for a 'cert' flight, and some will also do that for 'J' motors as well.
This whole 'cert'' crap is a huge load of horse manure anyway.

CERTS ? CERTS ? WEE DUN'T NEED NO STEEEENKING CERTS !

Daddyisabar
07-21-2016, 04:04 PM
I know several vendors that sell H & I motors via internet w/o cert as long as you 'say' it is for a 'cert' flight, and some will also do that for 'J' motors as well.

I love my CERTS with Retsyn! We need CERTS! We need CERTS!

Blastfromthepast
07-27-2016, 12:22 PM
Got in two more good flights on the Hornet again this morning.
This is the only bird I have that's flight ready at the moment. Have several other builds that are in various stages of completion.

Unfortunately this one came back from its second flight with a rather nasty gash on one of the fins. Payload section snap-back at ejection.

Back to the work bench...sigh...

Daddyisabar
07-27-2016, 12:31 PM
Got in two more good flights on the Hornet again this morning.
This is the only bird I have that's flight ready at the moment. Have several other builds that are in various stages of completion.

Unfortunately this one came back from its second flight with a rather nasty gash on one of the fins. Payload section snap-back at ejection.

Back to the work bench...sigh...

Time for longer elastic shock cords, or dare to tie two Estes cords together.

luke strawwalker
07-28-2016, 08:41 AM

I actually agree with GH on something... LOL:)

It's hard to accept the logic demanding the necessity of "certifications" when one of the main hobby rocket motor manufacturers is selling them out the back door as redneck "hold my beer and watch this" stunt gee-gaws (jet-hitch) with no compunction whatsoever.

Let's call it what it is... It's a legislative stranglehold on honest and responsible hobbyists by a self-appointed clique, nothing more.

I have seen and read about plenty of abject stupidity on high power ranges that the so-called safety through certification programs have done NOTHING to stop or correct.

Later! OL J R :)

luke strawwalker
07-28-2016, 08:43 AM
Time for longer elastic shock cords, or dare to tie two Estes cords together.

+1...

First thing I learned as a BAR-- ALWAYS throw away that undersize piece of scrap rubber band material that Estes puts in their kits and replace it with 1/4 inch elastic about 3X the length of the rubber band crap Estes put in the kit.

No failures yet!

OL J R :)