PDA

View Full Version : Stine's book in *French*?

blackshire
10-04-2015, 05:21 AM
Hello All,

A English expatriate friend of mine, who lives in Varennes sur Loire in France, has gotten involved in model rocketry, and his French neighbors are also interested in building & flying them. I'm not sure, but I think at least the Sixth Edition of G. Harry Stine's "Handbook of Model Rocketry" was also published in French. If anyone has an ISBN for the French version of the Sixth (or Seventh) Edition, I'm sure I can look up inexpensive copies on the various used book websites, so that I can order a few for shipment to him.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Jerry Irvine
10-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Bowker and Google didn't help. Not looking up.

Gus
10-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Blackshire,

There has only been one French language edition of the Handbook of Model Rocketry. It was a translation of the 6th edition, now long out of print and very hard to find.

Le Livre De Référence De L'astromodéliste (Sixieme Edition)
George Harry Stine and Jean-Pierre Seingier
Tradu/Concept Sarl Dreux
2-9510244-0-1

Amazon.fr currently has a used copy for sale at 42 Euro and I would tell your friend to buy it. It is only rarely available and there are none currently listed on Ebay.fr or Bookfinder.com.

Link to copy currently on Amazon.fr (http://www.amazon.fr/gp/offer-listing/B0010KLPHQ/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1443995487&sr=8-1-fkmr0)

Gus
10-04-2015, 05:45 PM
As long as we are on the subject, the Handbook of Model Rocketry has only been published in 3 foreign languages.

The second edition resulted in an Italian version called Missili Con Propulsione a Razzo.

The Sixth edition resulted in the French version mentioned above.

And according to a conversation I had with Bill Stine there was a privately printed (~500 copies) version in Japanese, although I am uncertain which edition.

G. Harry's other rocketry book, The Model Rocketry Manual, was printed in German as Handbuch des Raketenmodellbaus (which to my untrained eye looks a lot like German for Handbook of Modal Rocketry, LOL).

Only one other of Harry's 49 books was translated into 3 other languages. That was an unusual book he did called Mind Machines You Can Build which was published in Spanish, Polish, and Greek.

The Japanese have translated more of Harry's books (five) than any other country/language. Of interest is that all five were non-fiction. Roughly half of G. Harry's books were fiction.

G. Harry Stine was a truly gifted and prolific writer. As Bill Stine told me, the sound of a typewriter was ever present in his house growing up. G.Harry gave way more to the world than just model rocketry.

blackshire
10-04-2015, 11:00 PM
Bowker and Google didn't help. Not looking up.Those were my results, too. :-( Thank you for checking on it for me.

blackshire
10-04-2015, 11:08 PM
Blackshire,

There has only been one French language edition of the Handbook of Model Rocketry. It was a translation of the 6th edition, now long out of print and very hard to find.

Le Livre De Référence De L'astromodéliste (Sixieme Edition)
George Harry Stine and Jean-Pierre Seingier
Tradu/Concept Sarl Dreux
2-9510244-0-1

Amazon.fr currently has a used copy for sale at 42 Euro and I would tell your friend to buy it. It is only rarely available and there are none currently listed on Ebay.fr or Bookfinder.com.

Link to copy currently on Amazon.fr (http://www.amazon.fr/gp/offer-listing/B0010KLPHQ/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1443995487&sr=8-1-fkmr0)Thank you for both postings! I've copied the French handbook's information for him. The only other book of Stine's that I have is his 1957 "Earth Satellites and the Race for Space Superiority," which got him fired from Martin (where he was working on the Titan ICBM) after he quoted from his book to a reporter after Sputnik I was orbited. I like his libertarian economic idea of non-immediate profit driven free markets (which I think stemmed from his knowledge that world-changing technologies don't always have an immediate return on investment, but do so abundantly over time).