PDA

View Full Version : The TAU Pi-Y build thread

andrew scott
03-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Hi all

and to anyone who's interested in this build :)

The TAU Pi-y build thread.

What I want to try to do is document the construction of TAU Pi-y using some techniques I found helpful, and any pitfalls I may run across, in the building process.

This first section begins where most models begin -- with the motor mount.
The use of laser-cut components makes this process so much easier, and Carl from semroc is to be congratulated for the accuracy of these parts.

I found that the parts for the motor mount (EM-716) slip together in a test fit with just enough friction to keep them from moving around, but not so much that I needed to sand the rings to make them fit over the engine tube.

Beginning with the assembly of these parts, I first glue the two centering rings using epoxy to the coupler tube and let them dry.

I wanted a tighter fit of the engine hook, but without crushing the tube by trapping the hook under the rings.

To get this fit, I cut a shallow flat notch in to the rings, and then slid the engine tube into the centering rings as per the instruction.

Securing the engine tube to the centering rings with fillets of epoxy on both rings.

And wend dry I test fitted the motor mount assembly into the body tube and removed the excessive epoxy from the assembly.

Next the fins
The fins are made of 3.2mm (1/8) balsa.
I use the print out of the fins from rocksim as a template to help cut out the fins.

I've made it a point to use the old "computer paper" ( well it's not computer paper, it's photo quality paper 150gsm gloss finish) method to cover balsa fins, I glue the paper down using epoxy, it save time plus no filling the grain on the balsa.

(Ok so I'm getting laze in my old age, there a lot of balsa to fill on this rocket.)

Wend I finish all the fins, I made surer that all the edges were clean up and glue the fins onto the body tube.

This ends the first part of this project.

next part of this project the fin pods

CPMcGraw
03-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Good start, Andrew. Both of your Tau-series designs should fly well. A build thread is a good way to draw interest in the model.

Are you planning on doing the same for the Tau Pi-X?

andrew scott
03-05-2007, 04:30 AM
Good start, Andrew. Both of your Tau-series designs should fly well. A build thread is a good way to draw interest in the model.

Are you planning on doing the same for the Tau Pi-X?

No Tau PI-x is no the back burner at the moment .

the next is ????????