PDA

View Full Version : Clear fins. Glue first or last?

aeppel_cpm
06-26-2015, 05:12 PM
I need to attach the clear (lexan) fins for my current project, but I can't decide on the order.

Glue first. Mask around them. Or paint first (with masking strips for gluing later) and glue last.

Is there a consensus best practice?

ghrocketman
06-26-2015, 08:24 PM
I would glue first to ensure good filleting/attachment to the base material.
Then mask-off and paint.

aeppel_cpm
06-27-2015, 06:56 PM
That seems like good reasoning, GH. I'll go that way.

I'm a teensy be concerned about the masking adhesive on the lexan. But mainly because I haven't tried it before.

ghrocketman
06-28-2015, 01:55 AM
I'm confident that masking tape adhesive will do nothing to Lexan, but just to be sure, test the tape on a scrap piece of the fin material for a couple hours.
Regardless of that, remove the masking tape as soon as possible after painting.

aeppel_cpm
06-28-2015, 06:01 AM
I tried the mask tape on the lexan last night when I put down some narrow epoxy fillets.

I've seen that done in high power build threads, but not tried it myself before. I'm usually a little sloppy with epoxy. But the masked result sure looks sharp.

The tape (blue 3M) left a tiny trace on the lexan, but that looks like it will rub or wash off fine.

Onward!

jetlag
06-28-2015, 08:10 AM
Mineral spirits should remove all traces of the adhesive without clouding or otherwise damaging the lexan. Turpentine is the same thing.
Give it a try on a test piece if you want to be sure.
Allen

aeppel_cpm
06-28-2015, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the tips.

Gus
06-28-2015, 12:18 PM
That seems like good reasoning, GH.

Wow, that's a sentence I never thought I'd see on YORF! ;)

But in this case I completely agree. :)

aeppel_cpm
06-28-2015, 12:40 PM
I had a great deal of fun writing it.

Now that I'm a couple more steps on with my build, I came across a reason to NOT glue first. At least in this instance.

Some of the fins are TTW with nearby pod holding lugs. Putting on the decals is going to be interesting.

ghrocketman
06-28-2015, 01:01 PM
Thanks a lot, Steve.
Usually my rocketry posts provide logical advice/solutions when I'm able to supply them.

I'm not in the PSEUDO 'free for all' section much anymore for reasons I choose to not elaborate upon.