PDA

View Full Version : LOC Precision Mini Rockets

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-01-2015, 06:24 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Loc-Precision-Iris-Mini-Rocket/dp/B00HK1MCE4/ref=sr_1_17?m=A2XTNE0H65BLMY&s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1422836511&sr=1-17

I just stumbled onto this ad and others while doing some research for a review. Anyone know anything more? I'm sure it's the fruits of the merger coming forth. :cool:

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-01-2015, 06:26 PM
And more where that came from. I like the prices. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_toys-and-games?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=LOC+Precision&node=165793011

chadrog
02-01-2015, 06:54 PM
LOC put these out a couple years ago, they've all already been discontinued. It's too bad, they're nice little kits. What's left can still be had direct from LOC for ten bucks apiece.

luke strawwalker
02-01-2015, 11:29 PM
Yeah, Chadrog's right...

LOC came out with these "downsizes" of their regular HPR offerings... trying to break into the "LPR market" I guess... I don't know why, but they weren't very successful and ended up canceled a couple years back, IIRC... (probably more than a couple).

I remember that LOC was doing some sort of "comic book" type catalog/sales promotions at the time with some sort of "rocket cat" that got "miraculously" turned into some sort of intelligent super-hero through some sort of accident or other... then they expanded it to include the "gray aliens" and some other stuff, with customer's launching their rockets at the end... the "comic book story" on the smaller rockets was these customer's launching their full size LOC rockets and Marvin the Cat (IIRC) was thwarting some evil plans of the gray aliens and knocked their "shrink ray" out of whack and accidentally shrank the customer's rockets in flight, which then drifted back down under chute to a landing as the "mini-rockets" or something...

Wonder where they went with that... I haven't seen anything out of LOC/Precision in awhile to even know how long or if they continued that advertising scheme or where it went...

At least it was creative and interesting, if a bit hammy... fairly entertaining as well... Good for a laugh if nothing else...

Later! OL JR :)

Bill
02-02-2015, 02:03 AM
I saw some of those in a hobby shop recently. At, I think, $19 each, kind of pricey for a simple 3FNC.

Bill

bob jablonski
02-02-2015, 09:36 AM
The parts looked a bit like Starlight parts. I think they made 1,000 of each kit. (if my memory is correct).
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
www.countylinehobbies.com
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-05-2015, 05:35 PM
The first two arrived yesterday. Very tiny, and my initial impression was that they seemed like a rush job. I built the Lil Big Nuke first, (actually Big Nuke Mini, but that doesn't roll off the tongue the same way.) Body tubes seem beefier. Balsa was nice and hard. Sticker decals of the cheesiest sort. The nose cone appears to be an Estes PNC-50Y. I had it built in about two hours and it turned out pretty well. I think it will be a sturdy A8-3 bird for the upcoming season at B6-4 Field. (Following the reappearance and drying out. Fingers crossed for April.) It's in the paint booth at the moment with a coat of primer. I'm hoping to find the time for Fill & Finish tonight and sanding tomorrow. Launch plans for Saturday look sketchy, so the possibility of this being finished by Sunday is pretty decent.

RocketRohde
02-06-2015, 01:28 PM
The first two arrived yesterday. Very tiny, and my initial impression was that they seemed like a rush job. I built the Lil Big Nuke first, (actually Big Nuke Mini, but that doesn't roll off the tongue the same way.) Body tubes seem beefier. Balsa was nice and hard. Sticker decals of the cheesiest sort. The nose cone appears to be an Estes PNC-50Y. I had it built in about two hours and it turned out pretty well. I think it will be a sturdy A8-3 bird for the upcoming season at B6-4 Field. (Following the reappearance and drying out. Fingers crossed for April.) It's in the paint booth at the moment with a coat of primer. I'm hoping to find the time for Fill & Finish tonight and sanding tomorrow. Launch plans for Saturday look sketchy, so the possibility of this being finished by Sunday is pretty decent.

Not planning on making the journey?

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-06-2015, 02:03 PM
Not planning on making the journey?
Actually, I am. When I typed that the weather didn't seem to be cooperating, and I'm still skeptical. I'm going to pack the entry way tonight so I can get the car packed and be there for setup.

Jerry Irvine
02-06-2015, 03:35 PM
LOC (Lots of Crafts) is selling the small kits on their website for $10ea in clearance. Does anybody sell the tubes at a discount price?