PDA

View Full Version : My first BIG BOY project!

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Nick e-mailed me last week and asked if I had time to do a build for review of a mid-power kit. My only previous kit that was close to mid-power had been an LOC Lil Nuke several years back, but I've been finding myself more entertained by the bigger kits lately, so I said yes. The kit was a Madcow Rocketry HAWK kit, just over 36" tall and powered by F & G motors. It arrived Friday, (my birthday, how appropriate,) but it wasn't until tonight that I was able to do more to it than admire it from a distance. Tonight I was able to start construction, assembling the engine mount and installing the Kevlar recovery strap. I rarely work with epoxy, but tonight I was able to keep from getting it all over like I've done on past projects. I've got some pics, but I haven't downloaded them as yet. My initial impression was that this is a SERIOUSLY nice kit, but after tonight's successful building session, my second impression is that I might have this ready to fly, albeit nekkid, this weekend at the Quark launch.
I'm scared to death. :eek:

Tau Zero
09-19-2006, 12:43 AM
My initial impression was that this is a SERIOUSLY nice kit, but after tonight's successful building session, my second impression is that I might have this ready to fly, albeit nekkid, this weekend at the Quark launch.

I'm scared to death. :eek:As you should be, apparently. :eek:

Good luck! :cool:

Cheers,

ghrocketman
09-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Although I primarily work on LPR and MPR builds, I find myself working with epoxy more and more.
Although it is hardly required for strength on any LPR build, and is not light, it is MUCH easier to get one-step, VERY good looking fin fillets with 30min cure epoxy than it is with multiple layers of Titebond.

Tweener
09-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Bill, I guess you're saving the pics for the review, eh? Got something to satiate our appetites maybe just a little? (insert sitting up and begging emoticon here)
Although it is hardly required for strength on any LPR build, and is not light, it is MUCH easier to get one-step, VERY good looking fin fillets with 30min cure epoxy than it is with multiple layers of Titebond.Thanks for the tip. I'll try that on the Thunder Roc clone in progress, as I intend to try it on an E15 when it's complete.

ghrocketman
09-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Just don't try it with 5 minute epoxy....it cures too fast & doesn't flow well enough to make a decent fillet.
15 minute works, but I like 30 min....you can use a latex gloved finger dampened with denatured alcohol or Acetone to smooth it out and it will look REALLY good. Do the fins one at a time, and rest the rocket level & horizontal while curing.

snaquin
09-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Nick e-mailed me last week and asked if I had time to do a build for review of a mid-power kit. My only previous kit that was close to mid-power had been an LOC Lil Nuke several years back, but I've been finding myself more entertained by the bigger kits lately, so I said yes. The kit was a Madcow Rocketry HAWK kit, just over 36" tall and powered by F & G motors. It arrived Friday, (my birthday, how appropriate,) but it wasn't until tonight that I was able to do more to it than admire it from a distance. Tonight I was able to start construction, assembling the engine mount and installing the Kevlar recovery strap. I rarely work with epoxy, but tonight I was able to keep from getting it all over like I've done on past projects. I've got some pics, but I haven't downloaded them as yet. My initial impression was that this is a SERIOUSLY nice kit, but after tonight's successful building session, my second impression is that I might have this ready to fly, albeit nekkid, this weekend at the Quark launch.
I'm scared to death. :eek:

Sounds like a nice sized kit and an interesting build. Can't wait to read the review! I use only epoxy these days and although I have some larger pint and quart sized kits (AeroPoxy) I'll tell you what I do for mid power and when I need small amounts for a quick bond on my projects.

Wal-Mart has 100 count 3oz. plastic cups on the paper isle and they are very inexpensive. Wal-Mart also has the Devcon 5 and 30 minute epoxy in the syringes so you don't have to measure in graduated cups or try to eyeball it. I try to squeeze out very little and back off the syringe a little and mix in very small batches. I've built an entire rocket, motor mount fins and all with one $2 syringe and toss out the used cups and craft sticks in the trash. I find I'm getting lazy in my old age and I'm more inclined to use the syringe for smaller projects than to break out my bottles and have to measure ;)

Bill, what are you going to fly the HAWK on this weekend?

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-19-2006, 08:25 PM
I have to finish it first. As it stands at the moment, I'll be at the mercy of what our motor vendor has in stock. This is all new to me. I've flown two F's in the past, but my brother in law bought both of them for me. At the time, I considered a D12 a HUGE motor.

snaquin
09-19-2006, 08:53 PM
I have to finish it first. As it stands at the moment, I'll be at the mercy of what our motor vendor has in stock. This is all new to me. I've flown two F's in the past, but my brother in law bought both of them for me. At the time, I considered a D12 a HUGE motor.

Very nice. Looks like plywood fins and rings with a preslotted tube and a nice boatail. Looks like a really cool kit (and big too!). Kevlar shock cord harness. Can't beat that.

My wife really loves when I stand my rockets on the table or furniture to admire them ..... :)

Hey man, where did that crazy indian avatar come from? Was that from Underdog?

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Very nice. Looks like plywood fins and rings with a preslotted tube and a nice boatail. Looks like a really cool kit (and big too!). Kevlar shock cord harness. Can't beat that.

My wife really loves when I stand my rockets on the table or furniture to admire them ..... :)

It's an extremely nice kit, and I'm amazed at how easy it seems to be going together. Tonights mission was to install the engine mount, which seems to have gone off without a hitch, and construct the bulkhead, which also seems to have been successful. I'll start on the fins tomorrow evening while Maria and Sarah are at CCD.
Maria doesn't mind the occasional rocket display, as long as I leave no globs of epoxy on the furniture and clean up my toys when real people visit.
And the Injun is from "Go-Go Gophers". "Him say 'Hoopy doopy.'" :cool:

JRThro
09-20-2006, 10:38 AM

Steve, please refer to this post and the "Happy Birthday, Bill!" thread it is part of for more Go-Go Gophers info:
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?p=11558#post11558

snaquin
09-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Steve, please refer to this post and the "Happy Birthday, Bill!" thread it is part of for more Go-Go Gophers info:
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?p=11558#post11558

I must have missed the reference to the Gophers in that thread ..... and thanks so much John for getting that song stuck in my head again!

I miss those old cartoon shows.

JRThro
09-20-2006, 10:43 PM
I must have missed the reference to the Gophers in that thread ..... and thanks so much John for getting that song stuck in my head again!

I miss those old cartoon shows.
You're welcome, I'm happy to be of service!

snaquin
10-24-2006, 08:02 PM
It's an extremely nice kit, and I'm amazed at how easy it seems to be going together. Tonights mission was to install the engine mount, which seems to have gone off without a hitch, and construct the bulkhead, which also seems to have been successful. I'll start on the fins tomorrow evening while Maria and Sarah are at CCD.
Maria doesn't mind the occasional rocket display, as long as I leave no globs of epoxy on the furniture and clean up my toys when real people visit.
And the Injun is from "Go-Go Gophers". "Him say 'Hoopy doopy.'" :cool:

Hey Bill, You fly em' big HAWK rocket yet Hoopy Doopy? :)

I noticed a post on Rocketry Planet about another new Madcow Rocketry kit, the Sensor

http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/878/28/

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Hey Bill, You fly em' big HAWK rocket yet Hoopy Doopy? :)

I noticed a post on Rocketry Planet about another new Madcow Rocketry kit, the Sensor

http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/878/28/

Nope. I was all set to fly on Sunday, but they cancelled our launch due to high winds. The good news is that Cross Country is over after this week, so I'll be able to fly on Saturdays again.

snaquin
10-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Nope. I was all set to fly on Sunday, but they cancelled our launch due to high winds. The good news is that Cross Country is over after this week, so I'll be able to fly on Saturdays again.

Cool

I'm hoping to get a couple of flights in with the NAR section in Baton Rouge this coming Saturday myself. I hope to get my Semroc Lil' Hustler in the air for it's first flight.

I'm looking forward to your flight on the HAWK and your review. The Madcow kits appear to be really nice and have a lot of standard features. It looks like they currently have nine kits in their line and some interesting designs.

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Cool

I'm hoping to get a couple of flights in with the NAR section in Baton Rouge this coming Saturday myself. I hope to get my Semroc Lil' Hustler in the air for it's first flight.

I'm looking forward to your flight on the HAWK and your review. The Madcow kits appear to be really nice and have a lot of standard features. It looks like they currently have nine kits in their line and some interesting designs.

I don't have a lot of experience with mid-power, but this kit strikes me as first rate. I had problems, but all of my own making. One of the fillets never cured, and I eventually had to wipe it out and start over. Epoxy makes me nervous. It seems so final.... :rolleyes: I can't wait to fly it. I was bummed all day on Sunday.

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Finally flew this beast today, but I won't get to post the pics until tomorrow. Having only flown two F motors in the past, one in 2001, the other in 2002, I was pretty nervous during prep, but one of my fellow Quark members kept an eye on things to keep me from botching a step. The flight was fast and flawless on the G38-7 Blackjack motor, and I got a killer launch shot. Plenty of smoke and flame. The rocket rolled slightly as it ascended, then arced over and headed straight down. Being my first really large mid-power, I built heavy, so the ballistic flight path didn't concern me. By my count the delay was perfect and the rocket recovered about 100 yards into the brush, nicely draped along the ground with the U.S. ARMY decal displayed proudly. Very cool. The only damage was a slight nick in the nose cone, but that could have happened on the trip to the field. I didn't fly anything else because of the wind, but I treated myself to a victor's dinner of Popeye's Chicken afterwards. (I was too nervous to eat before the flight.) Now all that's left is the review, which will be great despite all my efforts to screw the project up. (Apparently I build fat rockets. The sim on this showed 1137'. I can't imagine that it got close. :rolleyes: )
On second thought, I'll do the pics today.

snaquin
11-06-2006, 06:38 PM
On second thought, I'll do the pics today.

Bill,

Your HAWK rocket really looks nice! Great shot of the G38 launch too.

That 1,137' altitude sounds realistic for a G38 in that rocket. I had a Loc Lil' Nuke that I added a small payload section and an altimeter to and less the motor it weighed in at 20.5 oz, all built with 5min epoxy. I know it had a lot less fin area than your HAWK and was probably a few ounces lighter but my Lil' Nuke usually turned in flights of around 1,500 feet with that same G38-7FJ motor.

There were some other reviews on EMRR's last update for two of the Madcow Rocketry kits and these look like really well designed kits.

Congrats on your successful flight and recovery!

tbzep
11-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Here's something to go with your big boy project. :D

http://buy.overstock.com/images/products/muze/books/0688170420.jpg

A Fish Named Wallyum
11-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Here's something to go with your big boy project. :D

http://buy.overstock.com/images/products/muze/books/0688170420.jpg
:D :D :D