PDA

View Full Version : Surefire rockets nosecones for BT50

Green Dragon
09-07-2006, 03:30 PM
well, I've seen these before, but never orrdered any .

in a recent order to Hobbylinc.com for nosecone paks ( best pricing I've found ), I added on a few each of thier " Nosecone 1 " and " nosecone 2 ", advertised as being made by Surefire rockets in Georgia.

wondered what the cones would match up to in real life,etc.

well, I can say for certain that they are very high grade, 2 piece cones ( seperate base 'plus', ala Quest .
the shorter of the two sizes ( NC1) is a nice rounded cone, slightly longer than a Custom Rockets cone, and actually real close to am Alpha 3 - PNC50KA, in case anyone was in need of that cone ( I Know Semroc has a balsa version, so must be some demand ).
sorry, no pics, not sure where I put my PNC-50KA I had handy :(

well, I'm pleasantly surprised to note, and to report, the longer cone ( NC2) , although it does not match up to any known cone ( might be close to a BNC-55AO, for GOblin or similar downscales) ..... however, upon further inspection and close scrutiny, I realised the cone is a near dead match for the hard to find, and much missed PNC-50X... it has a near identical profile, but has aprox 3/4" cylindrical section at the base.

I am now in the process (fins cut,that's it so far, lol) of building an Astron Sprint using this cone, and will cut the utbe 3/4" shorter, paint the cone yellow ( no yellow on the tube, but black band likely on the tube end), and see how it somes out .

will report as it goes, although with me you never know, could take 2 days, could take 2 months.....

~ AL

ps: comparison pics below.