PDA

View Full Version : Estes Pershing nose cone

LW Bercini
04-03-2012, 11:19 AM
A guy in my local club is a Pershing fan. I mentioned to him that I had a nose cone from the old Estes Maxi Pershing. He's interested in buying it. What would be a fair price?

Thanks.

ghrocketman
04-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Hard to say seeing as the molds for that kit were supposedly destroyed.
Unopened kits regularly go for over $150.00 on ebay.
The hardest part of cloning the kit is by far the nose cone if you want the rocket to not weigh a ton with a solid wood cone.
If I had only one, I would not let it go.
Any above one, I would want at least $60.00.

jharding58
04-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Before I sold it I would get a plug made. Something you could use to make a GF cone, or serve as a master. If he is a friend then you can be as nice as you like. Is it in your build queue?

chrism
04-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Find out how much he is willing to pay and go from there.

LW Bercini
04-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Before I sold it I would get a plug made. Something you could use to make a GF cone, or serve as a master.

Sorry? "GF cone"??

Is it in your build queue?

No, it's just been sitting in storage for 20 years.

jharding58
04-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Sorry? "GF cone"??

No, it's just been sitting in storage for 20 years.

Glass fibre. Or fiberglass..

sandman
04-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Hard to say seeing as the molds for that kit were supposedly destroyed.
Unopened kits regularly go for over $150.00 on ebay.
The hardest part of cloning the kit is by far the nose cone if you want the rocket to not weigh a ton with a solid wood cone.
If I had only one, I would not let it go.
Any above one, I would want at least $60.00.

Not a ton, 10.3 oz. Nothing an F or a G couldn't launch.

I just finished it tonight.

jharding58
04-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Right purty. You think it would need noseweight to achieve stability? Didn't the Maxi-Brute use a pat in the NC tip?

sandman
04-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Right purty. You think it would need noseweight to achieve stability? Didn't the Maxi-Brute use a pat in the NC tip?

It's hollowed out and will need a bit of nose weight. The RocSim shows it solid balsa and it doesn't require any nose weight with about 1.5 calipers of stability.

The CG is just a bit more than an inch below the top of the body tube with a G40-7.

Royatl
04-05-2012, 10:34 AM
A guy in my local club is a Pershing fan. I mentioned to him that I had a nose cone from the old Estes Maxi Pershing. He's interested in buying it. What would be a fair price?

Thanks.

At NARCON-91 in Huntsville, I bought a Pershing nose at auction for $60. Of course, that was before eBay and I figured then that I'd never see one available again. Even since eBay, I think I've seen only three or four kits available and maybe a nosecone.

So, I'm inclined to advise $100 as a starting bid. But it really depends on how much *you* want to keep it.

-------

P.S. I've still got the Pershing cone, unused. The cone I was going to replace with it, I repaired with fiberglass well enough to keep it flying, and I keep the fresh cone just in case.

Earl
04-06-2012, 09:43 AM
At NARCON-91 in Huntsville, I bought a Pershing nose at auction for $60. Of course, that was before eBay and I figured then that I'd never see one available again. Even since eBay, I think I've seen only three or four kits available and maybe a nosecone.

So, I'm inclined to advise $100 as a starting bid. But it really depends on how much *you* want to keep it.

-------

P.S. I've still got the Pershing cone, unused. The cone I was going to replace with it, I repaired with fiberglass well enough to keep it flying, and I keep the fresh cone just in case.

Yeah, those Pershings just don't come up on ebay very often at all. One of the last ones that did, here a few months back or so, was still shrink wrapped and I seem to recall it went for something around $650.

Earl

snaquin
04-06-2012, 05:25 PM

Thanks.

In the past I had some interest in locating the Pershing cone to build a AAA Model Aviation Fues HVTV Sentry like the one J. Stuart Powley has in this thread:

www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6255

When I realized that model also utilized the Estes Maxi Honest John cone for the base I figured the possibility of coming up with both of those cones at a reasonable price was slim to none.

If it were my Pershing cone and it was in good shape I'd hold on to it. I'm not one to collect but I could see getting rid of it and one day wishing I hadn't because I wanted to build something with it and couldn't find another one like it.

:)