PDA

View Full Version : Aerotech Astrobee D

Kimble29
03-27-2012, 03:45 PM
I am just getting ready to start this kit and thought I'd ask for any and all advice. I have not built any Aerotech kits before so this is all new territory for me. I have not built a kit using the CA glue that the directions say to use. I do not want to mess this kit up since I shelled out over a 100 clams for it.

Looking at the directions it all seems straight forward enough but if anyone has built one of these and encountered any issues or little quirks I'd definitely like to hear about it. I've had the thing laid out on my table for a week now and all I've done is stare at it cos I'm scared I'm gonna screw it up. There are a couple of sheets in the instructions that I'm not real sure about. They are templates for placing the antennas or something and then the decal instructions... well, I need to go back over those again too because they are not real clear to me. Apparently there are two different decal schemes but I don't really know what's best to use.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

chrism
03-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Here is a link to a review on EMRR of this rocket:

http://www.rocketreviews.com/aerotech-aerospace-astrobee-d--by-ken-bracey.html

Kimble29
03-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Thank you!

jetlag
03-27-2012, 07:28 PM
My personal taste, but think 'epoxy' not CA. CA is fine for little stuff and R/C apps. I think it is too unforgiving in the larger rocket realm, plus it tends to be a bit brittle. I like the longer setting type (30 minutes) because it penetrates well and gives you plenty of time to make corrections. Quite strong.

Enjoy the build! A Saturn V or worse, a Saturn 1B, is a lot harder to construct.
Since you have not built one this size yet, it will be immensely satisfying when you are done. It's a great semi-scale model, too!
Pics as you go???

Allen

Jerry Irvine
03-27-2012, 08:50 PM
This rocket has plastic fins and internal fin tabs. Manage landing speed.

"Use wood parts." - Just Jerry

Initiator001
03-28-2012, 02:04 AM
Do NOT use epoxy for AeroTech kits!

AeroTech kits are designed and assembled differently than traditional hobby rocket kits.

Just follow the instructions and use medium CA adhesive. ;)

jetlag
03-28-2012, 03:36 AM
Do NOT use epoxy for AeroTech kits!

AeroTech kits are designed and assembled differently than traditional hobby rocket kits.

Just follow the instructions and use medium CA adhesive. ;)

I have to politely disagree here: Aerotech kits are not that different than other high-quality mid-power kits. Other than the plastic fins and the pot-scrubber ejection baffle, they are, essentially, the same.

While YMMV, Epoxy is a longer-lasting and stronger adhesive than medium CA, especially if one uses the accelerator spray on the CA. If CA is your huckelberry, fine; just be very careful installing that engine mount and lining it up for the TTW fins to fit correctly! Depending on your humidity level and your skill, one shot to get it lined up is about all you may have! The weight penalty for using epoxy is minimal, BTW.

One will most likely be using a G motor in this particular rocket anyway. No way would I want to expose a CA-mounted engine mount to those pressures over and over. It's kinda silly and unnecessary, maybe a bit unsafe.

Allen

chadrog
03-28-2012, 07:37 AM
For what it's worth, I've built four Aerotech kits - all by the book. I was skeptical of the all CA assembly too, but I figured first time around they new better than I. Of the four, the only one I had a problem keeping together was the Astrobee D. Mainly because it came in ballistic to a frozen lake - think I forgot the ejection charge, oops... The other three (Initiator, Sumo, and G-Force) were all built per the instructions and are great performers. They have by no means been coddled, either. The Initiator had been darted with no damage or loosening of fins, the Sumo has had a very late ejection with no damage, and the G-Force kicked the motor case on a flight with an H250 due to a clogged baffle. It came in from about 1,600 ft. in a flat spin and sustained no damage. The Sumo and G-Force have both been flown on many G and H impulse motors, nothing shows any adverse effects from motor heat. By the way, why did you pay so much for it? They're only $70.99 from hobbylinc.com. http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/aro/aro89015.htm

tbzep
03-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Mainly because it came in ballistic to a frozen lake -
Yep....I'm not sure, but I think that might have been the culprit. :chuckle:

Jerry Irvine
03-28-2012, 10:28 AM
I think it is a bit phunnie the guy who co-designed many of the AT kits is being challenged on how to assemble them on this site. The clogged baffle issue is a real operational issue and based on online posts is pretty common.

Jerry

Kimble29
03-28-2012, 11:42 AM
By the way, why did you pay so much for it? They're only $70.99 from hobbylinc.com. http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/aro/aro89015.htm

Had I known at the time that I could save $30-40 going through hobbylinc I definitely would have! I ordered it through Apogee last year and I've had it sitting around for a while now. Oh well, thems the breaks!

Thanks for the comments, every little bit helps! Still nervous about this though....

Jerry Irvine
03-28-2012, 01:42 PM
I would omit the baffle and if I were building it I certainly would not put in a thrust ring or anything to limit motor length.

I am agnostic about adhesive, but all joking aside I would listen to the guy who designed the product.

The Astrobee-D scale model is a great looking and flying bird. All the ones I have made were true scale and had balsa parts. So yours will be a whole bunch easier to build and be stronger too.

Have fun!

Jerry

Bill
03-28-2012, 04:24 PM
I have to politely disagree here: Aerotech kits are not that different than other high-quality mid-power kits. Other than the plastic fins and the pot-scrubber ejection baffle, they are, essentially, the same.

While YMMV, Epoxy is a longer-lasting and stronger adhesive than medium CA, especially if one uses the accelerator spray on the CA. If CA is your huckelberry, fine; just be very careful installing that engine mount and lining it up for the TTW fins to fit correctly! Depending on your humidity level and your skill, one shot to get it lined up is about all you may have! The weight penalty for using epoxy is minimal, BTW.

If you choose to use epoxy, you will want to rough up the surfaces where the plastic parts meet paper to give the glue some bite.

Bill

Bill
03-28-2012, 04:27 PM
I would omit the baffle and if I were building it I certainly would not put in a thrust ring or anything to limit motor length.

Leave out the hook and use alternative means of motor retention or at the very least, file or cut back the forward end of the hook so that it does not limit the usable length of the motor tube.

Bill

Kimble29
03-29-2012, 08:35 AM
^^^^ Ah! I like the idea of filing down the hook. Thanks again for all the comments. I appreciate the help on this!

PaulK
04-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Use CA on these kits, per the isntructions, it works great. I like the baffle system, though did build mine without the engine hook or motor block, to handle 29-120 & 29-180 HPR cases. The hook works fine if you plan on using SU or hobby-line RMS motors.

One modification I'd recommend is to add a long shock cord to connect the two sections together, and use a single 36" chute. The stock build needs to have two chutes carefully packed to work, *and* you need to chase two pieces.

This is a really nice kit with some good scale details.

Kimble29
08-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Well, I finally got done with the construction of this rocket. All it needs now are the decals which I plan on doing tonight. I went over the instructions very carefully and followed them to the letter. So, I did not file down the engine hook, omit the baffle or use epoxy. That will definitely limit my engine size but honestly, I doubt I'll ever want to fly it on anything bigger then a G anyway. If I choose to venture into the realm of H motors and beyond I will get a different kit. On this one, I just didn't trust myself to make any alterations to the way the instructions were laid out.... this being my first Aerotech rocket and a $100+ rocket at that. I had this thing sitting aside for months because of the hectic schedule I've had. I started it on Sunday night and finished it last night. It wasn't nearly as tough as I thought it was going to be. I'm pretty sure I got everything like the instructions called for and now, I just have to get the decals right and she's done. I'm stoked to launch it!

Thanks for the advice in the thread! Any and all info comes in useful whether or not I used it this time around or later on!

chadrog
08-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Well, I finally got done with the construction of this rocket. All it needs now are the decals which I plan on doing tonight. I went over the instructions very carefully and followed them to the letter. So, I did not file down the engine hook, omit the baffle or use epoxy. That will definitely limit my engine size but honestly, I doubt I'll ever want to fly it on anything bigger then a G anyway. If I choose to venture into the realm of H motors and beyond I will get a different kit. On this one, I just didn't trust myself to make any alterations to the way the instructions were laid out.... this being my first Aerotech rocket and a $100+ rocket at that. I had this thing sitting aside for months because of the hectic schedule I've had. I started it on Sunday night and finished it last night. It wasn't nearly as tough as I thought it was going to be. I'm pretty sure I got everything like the instructions called for and now, I just have to get the decals right and she's done. I'm stoked to launch it!

Thanks for the advice in the thread! Any and all info comes in useful whether or not I used it this time around or later on!
Sounds good, you should bring it up to Bong this weekend!

Kimble29
08-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Here's a couple photos of the Astrobee D. Just needs some clear coat now. Not sure when I'll get to launch... my time is very limited these days. I am working on another Executioner build. It's in paint right now. I'm going with a Estes Leviathan paint scheme.I know Sandman has decals for that kit but I decided to hand paint the stripes and the fins. I'llpost a couple photos when it's done.