PDA

View Full Version : Estes Nosecone question

my65pan
08-13-2006, 11:52 AM
I lost a nosecone/chute this morning from an Estes rocket, not sure which model, and I can't find a replacement cone on the Semroc site. I need one that measures approx 1.035 around the shoulder and approx 1.095 at its largest diameter. The nosecone from my Estes Corkscrew Kit is identical to what I need. Does Estes have their own BT/ cone sizes? What gives?
Thankks,
Mark.

Here's a shot of the rocket I need the cone for.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/my65pan/000_0175.jpg

stefanj
08-13-2006, 01:35 PM
That's a "Bandit," I believe, and you need a BT-1090 cone.

These are not easy to find, but I MIGHT have one.

(CLUNK . . . Clunk . . . clunk.

rustle rustle.

darn!

rustle.

rustle rustle.

ah, what's this.

oooh.

rustle rustle.

darn.

clunk . . . Clunk . . . CLUNK)

OK, I have two, but they are intended for use in a couple of "project rockets."

I do have a coupler for this body tube. You could, if you have a spare cone for (say) a BT-55, cut it down and mount it on the coupler to create a cone.

my65pan
08-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the info. If I can't find one I'll turn and bore one to fit from Delryn or Nylon. It won't be as long and pointy, but it'll fly.

Green Dragon
08-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Unless I;m mistaken the Estes kit shown ( BANDIT ) is the 'generic' 1" inside dia. tubing used on many E2X rockets.

Estes used to sell those in nose cone paks ( 3-4 cones, iirc) .

aparently discontinued now ?

the pak I have has a couple shorter cones ( aprox 2.5", don't have right here in front of me ) which I believe are the 'Corkscrew' style.
it also has some longer, rounded tip ogive cones ( again, don't have right in front of me right now ).

I definately have a couple spare, so if you have trouble finding one, drop me a note, especially if you're not too concerned with long vs short cones,etc. ( ie: originality).

Good luck ,

~ AL

CPMcGraw
08-13-2006, 02:50 PM
I lost a nosecone/chute this morning from an Estes rocket, not sure which model, and I can't find a replacement cone on the Semroc site...

The nearest Semroc nose cone is the BC-1052, which is longer (or his new BC-1048, which is next to identical) but ever-so-fractionally smaller at the shoulder and the outer diameter -- 1.040" OD, 1.00" ID. I had the same problem locating a nose cone for an original Delta Clipper.

What I wound up doing was using this nose cone and applying a layer of paper (or label stock) around the shoulder, and some FNF or other filler compound around the bottom of the nose cone to build it up. Once dried, I just sanded the filler to match the tube.

my65pan
08-13-2006, 02:55 PM
I guess it may be 1" ID. I'm used to measuring plus or minus .005 or less. Estes still sells nose cone packs, but I'm not sure what NC-50, NC-55 etc. means as far as size or anything else goes. Does anyone have dimensions for Estes cones?

my65pan
08-13-2006, 03:05 PM
You posted while I was typing again CP :-). OK, I guess I do need an oddball nosecone. My Corkscrew kit must be an old one or something because the nosecone and coupler both fit perfectly in the "Bandit" body. Maybe I'll try to make a long pointy one on the lathe. I may have to make a drill extension or two though.

tbzep
08-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the info. If I can't find one I'll turn and bore one to fit from Delryn or Nylon. It won't be as long and pointy, but it'll fly.

If you plan to do that with solid Delryn or Nylon, it will be pretty heavy. Grab some balsa blocks at a hobby shop and stick them on the lathe. You can sharpen up a chisel and turn the balsa on your metal lathe. A buddy of mine used to do it all the time on his metal lathe.

CPMcGraw
08-13-2006, 03:42 PM
I guess it may be 1" ID. I'm used to measuring plus or minus .005 or less. Estes still sells nose cone packs, but I'm not sure what NC-50, NC-55 etc. means as far as size or anything else goes. Does anyone have dimensions for Estes cones?

For standard nose cones, you need to download the Estes #741 Custom Parts Catalog. Get it from JimZ:

http://www.dars.org/jimz/manuals/estp741.pdf (http://www.dars.org/jimz/manuals/estp741.pdf)

You'll need this one in your archive for future use...

The body tubing used in the Bandit is called HBT1090. The 1090 stands for the OD of 1.090" It's not an "original" Estes diameter, and is not found in the above publication.

John Brohm
08-13-2006, 04:21 PM
I lost a nosecone/chute this morning from an Estes rocket, not sure which model, and I can't find a replacement cone on the Semroc site. I need one that measures approx 1.035 around the shoulder and approx 1.095 at its largest diameter. The nosecone from my Estes Corkscrew Kit is identical to what I need. Does Estes have their own BT/ cone sizes? What gives?
Thankks,
Mark.

Yes indeed, it's a Bandit. You might try calling Estes Customer Service and see if you can get a replacement nose for the model. As others have mentioned, it's a PNC-1090, and still can be found in several late model kits - the Wacky Wiggler (#2182) uses this nose, for example

my65pan
08-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks for all of the info. I'll get that parts catalog for sure and ask Estes customer service when I call about the Skywinder rotor blades I need.

I went out to the garage and started on one from Delryn but I turned a little too much off of the shoulder for the Bandit. It fits the BT-20 tube I got from Semroc perfectly. I just have it rough drilled now, but once I bore it out to a thin wall it should work fine for whatever I make out of the BT-20. I have several other cones that I've turned and bored from Delryn and Nylon. They aren't quite as light as a balsa cone, but they work well and are nearly indestructable. I actually lawn darted one into the street with a Nylon cone and the rocket bounced about 6 feet off of the ground, totally destroying the BT, and pretty much everything else, but the cone just needed a little sanding and it was fine.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/my65pan/000_0176-2.jpg

I'm not sure why the picture is this big, sorry.

tbzep
08-13-2006, 05:00 PM
You can resize it on the Photobucket website.

If it's just the shoulder that's a little small and not the full diameter, just add a little masking tape to make it fit snug. Lots of Estes nosecones have to be done that way too. :)

my65pan
08-13-2006, 05:33 PM
After I turned the shouder down too far I just went ahead and turned the whole thing to fit BT-20.

Vanel
08-13-2006, 10:38 PM
I have a couple of nose cones for the HBT-1090 - pm me with your mailing address, and I'll send you one.

CPMcGraw
08-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Love that receiver it's sitting on.

Ham or SWL?

my65pan
08-14-2006, 05:47 AM
Thanks Vanel, I'll PM you.
CP the unit it is sitting on is actually a Henry 2KW transmit amplifier for ham radio.

my65pan
08-15-2006, 06:45 PM
I just realized that what I was calling BT-20 is actually series 10 tube. I was looking at my Semroc reciept when I typed in BT-20. I bought a length of BT-20 to use for motor tube and some series 10 for a BT. I got them confused, I'm a newby:-).

Carl@Semroc
08-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Post a good pic and I can make some.

Green Dragon
08-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Post a good pic and I can make some.

Carl,

if you figure there's enough demand / want to add this one just in case, let me know, I can send a PNC for you to measure / copy.

( actually, I should have both the short and longer versions laying around )

~ AL

Carl@Semroc
08-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Carl,

if you figure there's enough demand / want to add this one just in case, let me know, I can send a PNC for you to measure / copy.

( actually, I should have both the short and longer versions laying around )

~ ALIf you can scan it, that would be better and quicker.

my65pan
08-16-2006, 06:01 AM
Estes customer service told me that they only have a few left, so it might be a good thing to make some up.

GeorgiaRocket
08-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Don't know that it will make any difference, being a pretty generic E2X rocket, but that is actually a Super Shot rocket from the Estes Super Shot Starter Set, est 1449.

I have one safely stored about 100 feet up in a poplar tree 100 yards back in the woods. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Estes-Super-Shot-Starter-Set-1449-Rocket-Model_W0QQitemZ290018580762QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.kitsusa.net/phpstore/html/Estes-1449-Super-Shot-Starter-Set.html

CPMcGraw
08-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Estes customer service told me that they only have a few left, so it might be a good thing to make some up.

Check the local Wal Marts for the "Launchables" release of the Bandit. The one near me has one of these on the shelf, and I'm sure there are still a few more lurking about in their warehouses.

HBT-1090 is an odd-ball size with no one else currently using it, AFAIK; and I'm reasonably sure BARCLONE won't be showing any new designs using it, either. Carl has the far more common ST-10 available, with numerous BC-10 cone shapes in stock already. It might be good if Carl kept the dimensions on hand to make one up when needed, but it's not a cone that he really needs to keep on his shelves.